beeseen

Applying vinyl to a curved surface

I have a client who wants a 10.5" circle placed on a 13" globe (they're doing a gas pump restoration). I'm using 651 and clear app tape. What's the best way to do this? I've done small curved things, like bowls, etc and they came out pretty good, but never anything this big.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

try some paper tape - if it is slightly curved you might make it with that and a little heat but with clear - never

You need a good cast or wrap film for this. i would think that wrap film is your best bet though. Might be something more than what you want to get into really though.

At the moment this would be out of my league, but does raise the question of how it would be done, technique....etc.

Know of any good videos showing how to do this?

Cast vinyl, a heat gun, a cotton glove, patience and a gentle touch & yer good to go.

Ben

Is there a way I can cut the circle to make it easier to apply? So that when I heat it up I don't have a lot of excess vinyl to work with.

Look darn good to me. Good Job!

Is that multi-layered vinyl or printed ? I'm thinking its printed since the blue edge around the white looks great.

Mind sharing your techinue you used to install?

Oh that was easy. I thought you were literally covering a whole globe with vinyl.

Good job!

Thanks for the complements everyone.

It's layered. We layered it and then applied it wet. That helped to get it placed perfectly in the center. We worked it from the center out and then applied a little bit of heat around the edges. It was time consuming and required a lot of patience but scored us a lot of points with the company we made it for. I just hope we don't have to do anything else like this.  :D

oh yeh - the bumble bee stripes on dodge trucks are a blast to do - look so easy but more compound curves than there appears