deth502

cricut question

i dont know any specifics on these. i hear they need a cartridge of designs inserted into them to cut and do not interface to a computer.

so, what im looking to find out is, can you program these cartridges and put your own designs on them to cut custom files? is there any special parts needed ? (ie, cables/adapters to connect cartridges/machine to a pc)

the page link says that it will connect it to your pc, and make your own layout, but it mentions only using existing designs already on the cartridges.

i dont have one, so again, im not really familiar with how it works, but im checking for someone that has one and wants to do templates with it. idk if you can just send any eps/vector file to it and have it work??

I have a cricut and use a program called Sure Cuts a Lot with it.  The program lets you cut any font on your computer, dinbats, designs that you create or svg files.  Your computer is connected to the cricut with a USB cord.  I found the cartridges for the cricut to be too expensive and so started using this software.  Link is to the software.

http://www.craftedge.com/index.html

deth502,

My sister has a cricut and I looked for software for her to use.  I chose Make The Cut!  so tell your friend to look at it as well.

http://www.make-the-cut.com/

-Mike

The crafters who use the cricut have spent a ton of money for the cartriges.  A single font or a cartridge with a handful of graphics costs as much as either of these programs (Sure Cuts a Lot or Make The  Cut!)

thanks! ill pass it along.

idk about the prices of the cartridges, but its the limited designs plaguing him. i can see his point, most of what i cut is my own work, even when i "steal" it from here or somewhere else, i usually do a lot of tweaking it until im happy with it. cant imagine being limited to what someone else decides to put on a cartridge.