Sign in to follow this  
Dsigns4U

Needing to upgrade my entire vinyl cutting setup: Help

I've been in the decal, sign and just about anything else vinyl could be used for business for going on three years now. Over the past 6 months I went in partners with my dad with his archery pro shop and added some store front space for my vinyl cutting business. This has brought more business than I bargained for especially for the equipment I have. Im looking to revamp my entire setup. Right now I have a 06 Compaq Presaro (sp) XP computer with no serial port (stuck using USB port), a MH 871 Cutter from Signwarehouse and Im cutting on Signblazer. This setup worked fine a year ago but as its aged as well as business has increased, it all is not anywhere near up to par. My PC is fast but it doesnt have a serial port and it has issues sometimes with files. My cutter is LOUD, literally like someone scratching a chalkboard over an amplifier. It cuts decent however it just can't compete with other machines Ive played with. Using Signblazer has got to go. Signblazer doesnt let me upload half the logos I make or convert on Inkscape. It also doesnt have many features I've found I really need to really make some orders look as good as I want them to. I have a large spare bedroom at my house that I use as a base of operations for everything. Its a very big room so space isnt too bad. I only use the archery shop to take orders and advertise. I say all that to ask this. What cutter, PC, and program should I upgrade to? I plan on spending under 2K but if it takes up to 3K to make it all come together I can do that too.

How big of a cutter do you want to go to? 

I myself as started with low grade equipment also.  I have upgrade to a Graphtec and have never looked back, it is simply AWESOME, fast, quite, and the quality plus features is amazing.  For software I just use Corel for design and as my cutting program.  You could go get Flexi, but I do not have any experience with that.

Best of luck bud

I started out with a MH721 with SignCut. I have upgraded to a Graphtec as well and I use LXI (Flexi rebranded by signwarehouse). I bought my cutter used and paid about $850 for cutter + software.

Im wanting to upgrade to a 24inch Copam cutter paired with the CorelDraw X5 program from USCutter. Their website quoted me at $1129 I think for it. I think I really want to go that route. Ive seen some reviews for it that were almost always positive and quite a bit quieter than my old machine. Now I need to find a new tower. I want to run a Windows 7 tower that has a serial port for the new cutter. Im going to leave my old cutter and PC plugged up to cut more at once if need be. Thanks for the help guys,

Dsigns4U.

I have been very pleased with the 2 Co-Pams I have had for 3 years until the pinch rollers started breaking while not in use ( 3 this summer ) . Poor quailty metal casting where they drill for the spring pins . I suggest spending the extra for the next step quality ... Zen or Graphtec . That is what I will buy " if " I ever upgrade . I'm going to buy 2 extra pinch rollers & hope the new rollers last 3 years as did the originals .

If I was spending that much I would go with graphtec not that much more or signwarehouses rebranded graphtec that comes with software that is about the same as flexi for less then 1500.00 and sometimes they will upgrade the software to get the sale. I would buy an older refurbed tower with serial port and xp pro you really dont need windows 7 for running the cutter  just make sure you have enough memory and hard drive the processor speed really dont matter much on design or cutting.

Dan