Sign in to follow this  
wetstuff

F-Starter with imported images...

I love this program. I can cut, my usual jobs - simple letters - in my sleep, but I need to bring in a solid image from Photoshop to set atop a line of type I am setting. I save it as a Tiff, but no can cut?! 

I can see the image in Starter's makeup window .. I try both Solid Fill and No Fill .. wire/no-wireframe, but when I send it thru Production Mgr.  ...all I get is the outline of the image area - no image.

Is this a speed brake in 'Starter' .. or is there another format I can import.  Nothing fancy, but I'd surely like to scan something into Pshp and cut it.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim

Salisbury MD

is the file you are importing to cut a vector file?  can you save it as an .eps file?  if it is a raster file.  no Flexi will not cut it.  from your previous posts, you have Corel.  why not import it from there in vector format?

SD:  I did get Corel for Mac but that is a lot harder to do something simple than within Pshp.  (I use Pshp daily)  I saw a post that mentioned INKSCAPE and dnld. that.  It is quite easy to use (no RTFM) and pretty easy to simply import my Pshp image and then pick from lots of formats to export ..but none, that I see, are clearly vector. I've tried to open a number of them in F-S but it 'won't see them'.  .. I just tried .eps - No Go.  Is there one specific, export format that you would pick with Inkscape? 

Jim

photoshop is a raster program, not vector. (for photos etc).   You have to use a vector program for cutting.  Vector is outlines. In inkscape .eps is vector.   Once you import your image into inkscape you have to vectorize it.  and save it as an .eps file.

Vectorising in Inkscape

SolutionThis walk through explains the basics of vectorising in Inkscape.

Step 1) Import your image. Click File>Import, find your file and click OK.

Step 2) Select the image, go to the top of the screen, click Path>Trace Bitmap.

Step 3) The Trace Bitmap menu will then open. Here you can select how you want your image vectorised and adjust the settings. You can also generate a preview. Once you are happy with the preview click OK and close the Trace Bitmap screen.

Step 4) Now you will have your new vector image and the old raster (bitmap, jpeg, gif etc) image stacked on top of each other. Seperate the two and delete the raster.

Step 5) Play around with your new vector image!

I don't use Corel. but I believe you use Powertrace  in Corel. probably youtube videos for that or here on the forum. under Corel.

Ah Soooo...  I was under the impression that Inkscape was automatically a Vector app...  I printed out your instructions.  Many thanks for the help. 

Jim 

vector is the wireframe. That is what you cut.  should be on top after vectorizing your image. just slide it over and delete the bottom image.