marcuso

Moving forum to a new server - changing to IP.Board

I am in the process of making some improvements to the forum.  Namely:

Moving to a higher end server with more memory - This should further improve performance and allow the forum to grow without restriction for the foreseeable future.

Changing to IP.Board - Simple Machines Forum has been a good forum, but there has been little improvement and after more than a year of beta, they still haven't official release the second major version of the software.  IP.Board is generally regarded as the best forum software available.  While the UI should be different, most all of our data should transfer cleanly.

I am going to attempt the transition to the new server now.  The transition to IP.Board will be attempted some time within the next several days.

Marcus, Not sure if it is my computer or what, but all the different links and buttons are just showing a red "x".  Also unable to see other links and jpegs.  It is early, so not sure if anyone else is having these problems or just me. 

Thanks for all you do!! 

Then will you have to go thru it all again when you migrate to the new board software??  Maybe best to just pull the plug and do it all now

I would have liked to complete both at the same time, but the import tool for IP.Board didn't work on my first attempt, so I am awaiting results from their support department.

Then will you have to go thru it all again when you migrate to the new board software??  Maybe best to just pull the plug and do it all now

Forum should be back to normal now.  Sorry for the problems today.  Did everyone notice the speed increase?  Speed is blazing for me.

That was the goal.  We haven't moved to IP.Board yet.  We are on a new server that is MUCH faster with more storage, so we shouldn't run out of space (as we frequently had in the past).

CRAZY!!! It all looks the same to me. Not a thing changed.  :thumbsup:

Oh, I thought I read that you were doing away with Simple Machines software. My mistake.

Tek that is the case, it just has not happened yet. We are moving to IP.Board which I have linked to below. The change that Marcus just made was a simple move to a different server. This has supplied the forum with more storage space and more computing power, hence the increase in speed.

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/

Hey guy's, I've been engineering, programming for 28+ years. I've tested tons of forums out over those years, and the best running,anti-spam,server usage, etc. etc. etc. i here http://www.phpbb.com/

It's the best I've used for years and years. Also the spam software inside the board is a huge plus, maybe BJ could get a break  ;)

Just though I'd try to help you guy's out after all the help I've received with my new play toy LP 24 lol