firemalt

Purchased a domain and website yesterday

Awhile back when I was doing sites Yahoo, Google and others use to have a link on the bottom saying something like "submit a site" or "suggest a site". Just make sure you have all you can put in your "meta keywords" that's relevant

with Google...it doesn't matter if you are the only sign shop in your town and someone searches for signs(your town). That is how it SHOULD be,you should come up first. But you won't.

With Google, either you PAY to get a sponsored listing at the top..or you need to get as many other websites as you can to link to YOURS. In other words, the more websites have YOUR link on it,the higher up you go.

For being the #1 search engine..Google really isn't a very good or reliable one.

You can manually register with Google and Yahoo...but do NOT fall for these scams that say they can get you higher rankings,or list you on search engines..for a price. They won't do anything you can;'t do yourself and might even get you banned from Google altogether.

Usually the administration panel for the web host has a menu item that will submit for you. Or at least mine does  :lol:

Guest sciondrgn

I myself use Godaddy just for the domain names and use pwnhost for the hosting.

You also program your site with meta tags that search engines crawl to automatically list you.. You can however still manually submit your sites through most of them

Guest Terry

I use go daddy also, and I have 98meg of free space on AOL.

I also have been known to play with the web sites -- check out

http://www.all-americanselfstorage.com/

This is a site I designed for our storage facility -- it is hosted through HostMonster.com (like $6.00/mo)

Nothing fancy, but effective. Most of this was set up using Front Page.

The thing to remember is if you are just starting out use the free sites to practice -- this way you can start to learn design and layout. Learning HTML from the ground up is very helpful. I started years ago before Front Page and Dreamweaver. I learned basic HTML code. This has come in handy - when something just doesn't look right I can go to the code and see where to tweek it just a bit.

Always remember - have fun when you are designing a website -- I see too many where they are trying to be too serious. Web sites should be fun and interesting. Always try to find something to hide in the site to make it fun!

Just my 2 cents worth. :snow:

A good way to get exposure and it is free is to submit your items to sell at Windows Live Search and Google base (use to be Froogle). Just have to make an xml file and upload it. That is what I do and get quite a bite of exposure.

Randy

Guest sciondrgn

Here is mine

Still a work in progress

www.sharpclawstudios.com

I've done enough web sites to know that there isn't a magic bullet to get you high search engine rankings.  Unless you want to pay for it.  Relevant meta keywords, links, keeping content refreshed, time and luck are about the best bets.  Then you have to let the search engine web crawlers do their job.

Yes, use an email address at your domain it gives you a much more professional presentation.

Here is mine

Still a work in progress

www.sharpclawstudios.com

Very nice layout -- I had been considering something like that.  :well done:

It's a good thing the web is a big place and there is room for all of us out there.

For those of you considering your own website, Microsoft offers FREE domain name ( a regular .com, not a web page at MSN or something)..FREE hosting (Up to 4 pages I think).....Templates for designing your site if you don't know html...they even host your pics for you....mostly import,type,drag into place..its very easy.

here is the link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officelive/default.aspx?xid=c2logo

one word...when I did mine,it tok about 48 hours from when I uploaded, to when it went live.

I have 4 domain names with GoDaddy for my brothers...and the cost with hosting is $9.95 a year.

My domain name at this site is FREE and they even renew it for you.

Try it out...you have NOTHING to lose and much to gain.

When I type in the name of my business (not the whole www thing,just the name...it shows up first one on Google.