SpareParts

Applying Transfer Tape?

Does anyone know of a good video showing the correct way to apply application tape (r-tape) to a large vinyl decal? I am always interested to learn new techniques.

Big Squeegee is the to go.  You can lay down 24" wide app tape just as fast as you can push it across the table.  You can also use it for applying vinyl, but I've had mixed results using in that capacity.  Seems to work OK with cheap vinyl, but the good stuff tends not to release from the carrier as easily.  Works every time using for app tape though.

That huge roller table is cool, how many signs do you have to do to pay for one of those?

What about that appliance USCutter sells?  is it any good?

http://www.uscutter.com/APPRoller-Tape-Application-Roller_p_79.html

JOhn ><>

I use this and it works like a charm on those plastic folding 4x6 tables, I posted it a while back.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,19769.msg154944.html#msg154944

RG

if you don't have any of the fancy tools to apply it, the simplest thing I can tell you is to have your roll at one end of the table, hopefully in a holder, or have someone hold it for you to keep tension on it while your applying it.. then pull your app tape out the full length of you graphic, making sure your coming off the TOP of the roll. Then Stick the whole end of the app tape tothe table a few inches in front of your graphics, keep tension on the tape to keep it off your graphic. Using your HANDS, not a squeegee, from the end you just stuck down, start smoothing from the center out with each alternating hand, working your way up the tape about 5-6 inches at as time. when your done cut your tape, and then use a squeegee work for the center out and get it stuck down good.

The reason I like doing it this way is that when you have a really long piece, the squeegee will tend to stretch the app tape and cause some wrinkles in it, and we all know how fun it is to apply with wrinkles in the app tape. Also if for some reason the tape does wrinkle you can most of the time pull it back up and fix it when you do it by hand. I have noticed since doing it this way I have a lot less distortion problems when I apply the graphics.

Kevin

• Like 1