Sign in to follow this  
JoeCamaro

Tarzan: What's the secret?

There is a Tarzan movie on tv now and I can't stop asking myself how does he do it? Do what you ask?

Well the man lives in the jungle with a group of monkeys, but still he is in great shape, he has no hair in his belly, chest, nipples, or back. He has perfect teeth and nicely trimmed nails witouth any trace of athlete's foot. Man, there's something fishy ;)

johnnyweissmuller-tarzan.jpg

In the book, Tarzan discovered his parent's camp, and somehow,taught himself to read from books  he found there....I don't remember how he learned to speak. He was much more educated in the books than the films.

That pic is from the very first MGM film..'Tarzan of the Apes'.

He went on to play Tarzan for 16 years,for MGM then for RKO.  He won five Olympic gold medals, one bronze medal, won fifty-two US National Championships and set sixty-seven world records.He never lost a race and retired with an unbeaten Amateur record.

He was a childhood hero of mine...as Tarzan and as Jungle Jim. I met him in 1961 when he was in town promoting his swimming pool company.

As for your question...he met Jane in the first film, I guess she cut his hair and toenails. As for his teeth...I guess there isn't any sugar in the jungle.

Johnny Weissmuller I guess I saw most all of the movies . John remember kids running around doing the tarzan call ?

OMG yes! I think I hurt myself trying once..and I broke my arm swinging on a vine in the woods when I was 12.

The thing was, they showed the Tarzan films on my local station at 6am on Saturday mornings which gave us all day Saturday to play out whatever they showed. It could be Tarzan, Commando Cody(Sky Marshall of the Universe), JUngle Jim,Robin Hood, or any number of Cowboy Heros. WE had these huge woods in the neighborhood to play in...We were poor but life was great! I wouldn't trade it for anything!

You forgot Sky King , Lassie and Rin Tin Tin .  We must have had at least 20 grape vines we swung on we lived on the family farm and our closest neighbor was a mile away miles of forest in three directions yes those were the days simple living with no worries .

Sky King and Penny! I have some episodes on DVD.

How about Sgt Preston of The Yukon and his dog King? I have a few of those too.

BTW I have every single Jungle Jim movie on DVD.

I idolized Jungle Jim in the 60's until meeting Rory Calhoun* in person for autograph and realizing even at that young age he was a jerk. Sky King and Penny were certainly kool; but to me not nearly as much as the guys of Ripcord...whom I'm certain to this day I witnessed jump from a plane while attending Hershey Park in PA (circa 1962?) I mean who else could have had identical striped chutes...hey that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

*But now I'm confused, cause Rory is not given credit on Wikipedia for any Jungle Jim appearances. I thought I remembered the role being shared by him and Johnny.  Perhaps you can enlighten me.

I idolized Jungle Jim in the 60's until meeting Rory Calhoun* in person for autograph and realizing even at that young age he was a jerk. Sky King and Penny were certainly kool; but to me not nearly as much as the guys of Ripcord...whom I'm certain to this day I witnessed jump from a plane while attending Hershey Park in PA (circa 1962?) I mean who else could have had identical striped chutes...hey that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

*But now I'm confused, cause Rory is not given credit on Wikipedia for any Jungle Jim appearances. I thought I remembered the role being shared by him and Johnny.  Perhaps you can enlighten me.

the only other person to play Jungle Jim on film was Grant Withers in a 1937 serial at Universal

Johnny Weissmuller was always a gentleman with his fans.

Guest kenya

Kirby Grant was a great man.

He belonged to the Sportsmen's Club that my parents belonged to years ago when I was a teen.

I still have the $5 bill that he signed for me. He signed it 'Sky King'. 

Although, I didn't watch his shows- my brothers all wanted to be pilots. ;)