Guest Schramm

Taking elements and making your own design 101

Guest Schramm

Well here is an example of taking a simple element which is a wrought iron sign design (comes from Ultimate Ornament) a leaf and simple texts with different effects and making a unique design which is your own or your clients.  I did this in about 5 minutes using Adobe Illustrator.

I started with the sign blank and thought about what I wanted it to say based on old time english pub signs.  Once I had it figured out I started with the word PUB and decided where it looked best, then arched my name, the leaf is a element I use all the time and is nothing more then a font dingbat.  The grille is in a different font from the same era and the spirits and delights is a simple rise.  Together they look like they were meant to be and by simply playing around with the positioning I was able to come up with something that I like!

If you have questions let me know and I will help out as much as I can.

post-0-12986554641033_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986554668607_thumb.jpg

Guest manwayvan

Looks really good schramm..I enjoy the looks of these signs and I really liked the Cigar mirror you made..

Guest Schramm

Well I know from reading threads on here that people get intimidated when designing, laying out and the basic execution so I thought I would help and allow others that are more experienced to join in.  While I am not going to train anyone on how to do this, I thought a thread explaining and helping with general questions would help everyone learn.  For those that think that design is easy, its not...  If it was everyone would do it and this would be a joke not a business.  By knowing the basics I feel you can do a great job and your limits will be lessoned. 

Don't be afraid to ask as there are a number of talented people that would join in that have been doing this for a long time.