Sign in to follow this  
1mobile

Beginner question

This is going to sound really dumb but:

1. If only a cutter is used, will the vinyl need to be overlapped (one on top of the other) to make a 2 color design? Or are cutters designed to print and then cut. Such as a race car door number that's white with a black outline.

2. Is a printer/cutter needed to make single layer stickers?

1 Yes with just a cutter you will need to overlay but it is a common practice. They do make printer/cutters for mylti color one layer decals.

2 No, You can do 1 color decals with just a cutter without overlapping

Speedoggy, yea that's just a little over my budget :) :). I assume I will need just a cutter but what else is envolved?

What will I need?

Computer

Cutter

Vinyl

Design software

anything else?

transfer tape , exacto knife, tweezers, designs, table, work area, I use needles, you can use inkscape.org for free design software,  

What exactly is transfer tape? Does the vinyl itself not have an adhesive back or am I missing something?

I assume transfer tape the wax paper looking material that is peeled off after the vinyl is laid down. Is transfer tape not already on the vinyl when you purchase the raw product? Do you put the transfer tape on before or after the vinyl is cut.

Thanks for your responses and please note that I am new to this.

transfer tape is on top. to transfer the decal to apply it.  You have alot of reading and homework to do.    :)

you can also go to a search engine like www.dogpile.com,  or ASKjeeves.com  and enter  how do you make a decal. 

A lot of people use an exacto knife for weeding we use 6" tweezers

There are several tutorials on here by members that have taken their time to make and or post also on you tube are loads. Don't forget to thank the members that lend you a hand.  You will pick it up fairly quick  we were all new at some point hell I am still learning every day thanks to the wealth of information on this forum ( Thanks members)

Dan