Sign in to follow this  
Truckntran

Thank You Banner John!

I'd like to publicly thank Banner John for the idea of making your own big squeegee with a paint masker and velcro..... Some may remember I have had some nasty bubble problems with my oversize load signs, bad enough to make me think maybe I was in the wrong business, couldn't even do a simple sign.    I used a cheapie paint masker with a plastic edge originally, it worked well for app tape but it just didn't do it when applying reflective background on magnetic material...

I finally broke down and bought one of those stainless steel paint edge maskers..($4.99 at the local true value for a 12 inch one which matched the size of my signs...) The same hardware store stocked 2 inch velcro by the foot..($2.69) . Peel and stick the fuzzy velcro to the stainless edge, and away we go.

I just finished applying engineer grade reflective to 6 sign blanks. I was able to do it wet or dry, and NO BUBBLES!!!!! I lettered them as well, no bubbling there either.    One thing I have learned to do is apply, then WAIT a while before pulling the app tape.. Gotta let the adhesive set up.

I also used the info from the video John posted.....about applying vinyl to a banner..He folds the decal back, then peels up an inch or so of the backing, and folds it, as he squeegees the vinyl this folded area pulls the rest of the backing off as you go... SLICK!!!

The one other thing I did to prevent bubbles was I went and bought a tack rag.. A recent glass job came out very nicely, with no specks to cause trouble spots. If you don't use one, it is well worth it especially if you live in dusty Texas.

And John also hooked me up with a tremendous deal on a killer heat press a while back. I never would have found it without his note...

So John,  I don't care what anyone says, You are DA MAN!!!  :D

Someday I gotta meet ya and buy ya dinner.

I am humbled by your words. I do what I can.

Thanks!