Sign in to follow this  
RoyBoom

Starter problems

I've finally gotten started with my cutter but I'm getting pretty frustrated right now.  I know it's all fairly simple, but just getting going is giving me some trouble.  My corners are coming up and it seems to be running over some paths twice.  I build my design in Freehand, saved it as an eps, imported into Signblazer.  I looked at it in wire frame and thought I have just one path but I must be messing up something.  At times the cut depth seems right and other times goes all the way through (probably a double cut).  I'm using a 45 degree blade but I'm suspecting that a 60 would be better for me.  I wish I knew someone near by that could get me started. It's a USCutter 24 Laserpoint.

This little job is for the high school seniors and they've only got a couple weeks left.  The teacher told them she wanted them to design something, I told them what I needed, but you know how it goes.  Everyone with a computer thinks they are a designer, and the more colors and typefaces you use the better designer you are.  I've changed it to a one color and rid of the Curlz typeface, hopefully they will go for the change.

Thanks.

post-3056-12986552969742_thumb.jpg

post-3056-12986552970202_thumb.jpg

post-3056-12986552980557_thumb.jpg

post-3056-12986552980939_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you have a few problems, starting with the blade being too far put.  If the blade was set correctly, it should be able to cut over and over without cutting the backer paper.  This is also probably why your corners are pulling up.  Use the guide in the instruction forum to set it correctly.

I would also try copy pasting from freehand rather than exporting and importing.

I use freehand too, but I expor my designs to an AI format instead. AI 8.

I use freehand too, but I expor my designs to an AI format instead. AI 8.

Thanks Joe, I've got Illustrator on here too so I'll give that a try too. 

Sounds like you have a few problems, starting with the blade being too far put......Use the guide in the instruction forum to set it correctly.

I would also try copy pasting from freehand rather than exporting and importing.

I did readjust my blade, and there's just a tiny bit hanging out. I think the guide said half the thickness of a credit card, and I'm way short of that. The guide that I got off the forum is pretty poor for instruction in my opinion, leaves a lot to be desired.  I'll try the copy and paste thing. Thanks.

I really don't know what more you could want, a fellow forum member used his time to compile the info and keeps updating it.. we thank him alot for his work. And it has helped many people to get started.

Each design software has it's own instructions.

The New Bie guide that Speedoggy showed is a very comprehensive guide that has been developed by a great member of the forum.  If that doesn't work for you maybe some classes would be better.  I am sure advantage supply in Grand Rapids could direct you to some.  on the blade use the test cut feature on your cutter to check the depth - the outer square should pull away and leave the triangle center when properly adjusted.  The backing paper could show a mark but not be scored.  One of the old timers told me that you are better to use more pressure and less blade to start.

Checked your profile and have you really had your cutter for 1.5yrs and having this kind of trouble?:huh:??

BTW Joe camaro is nothing short of a legend on the forum - Nothing like help from the best!

BTW Joe camaro is nothing short of a legend on the forum - Nothing like help from the best!

I'm really sorry, I never meant to offend anyone on here.  I have read lots of Joe's posts and I know that he knows what he is doing and I listen to it.  It's just that when I have problems and I have questions and I've looked at the manual I'm just not finding the answer I need so maybe I've got a couple different things going on at the same time.  You're right, I've had the cutter for well over a year.  I got it with a little extra money I had from doing t-shirts at a couple car shows and I needed to spend it and thought the cutter would be something I could use later when I get back into printing after retirement.  I didn't even open the box for a year.  Then came the layoff and going back to school trying to get certified so I could get another school job.  Learning to run the cutter just wasn't high on the priority list.  I've done a couple simple things with it but for some reason this one is just kicking my butt.  Seeing something done being able to touch it and see what it's supposed to feel like is different for me than reading the book, but I'll hit the manual again.  Eventually this will come together for me and start making sense.

Oh thank you!  :huh: I appreciate your words.

No offense taken though in any way Roy.

Ok, do this:

1. Open the design in Freehand or any other software and make sure nothing has an outline. If it does, then it will cut twice.

2. Make test cuts with the lowest pressure and keep going up until you find a right pressure.

3. Place the vinyl in the right side of the cutter and try your cuts then place the vinyl in the left side and do it again. I used to cut using the right side, but then changed to the left side and I like it more.

Good luck!

joe

FWIW, I have pretty much always left my LP at pressure 100 and just adjusted the blade depth. 

I dont have a us cutter.. but.. when I first got my cutter the cutting head was out of the track at the top from the factory . It would cut but it was really messy.

Try standing in front of the cutter and gently wiggle the cutting head towards and away from you. If it moves it may be out the track also.

One of the old timers told me that you are better to use more pressure and less blade to start.

:D

Thanks to all of you for the hints on how to get started.  I got through this job and in the end things were looking a lot better than they were in the beginning, so I guess that's progress.  I did get a 60 degree blade, even though someone said they didn't think it was necessary.  Necessary or not it seems to be working good, so I think I'll just leave it in.  In the directions it said to have the blade out half the thickness of a credit card, and like that I was hacking up everything.  Now I've got the blade pulled up so that I can barely see it, actually I wasn't even sure it was out, but I took it in the holder and ran it over a piece of scrap and it was cutting so I put it in.  Now I'm not turning up any corners and everything seems clean.  Things weren't releasing real good when weeding, so I got a hair more blade out and it's not bad now.  One thing that concerns me is that when I put the blade holder in I can't tighten up the bracket it goes into, the screw seems to be too short to catch in the threads.  This is a Laserpoint machine.  The blade seems to be tight, but I just worry about the holder wiggling up a little since I can't tighten the screw.

Anyway, thanks to all of you.  I just needed a little to get going and to see what I didn't know.

Roy

Glad to hear you got it going.  The LP is a good machine, IMO, and mine has performed well without any major problems for almost 2 years now.

I've never really understood the "half credit card" thing, thats very difficult to judge.  Putting the vinyl in, dropping the blade and dragging the vinyl out and checking and adjusting is the best way to get it right.

As far as the bracket, you can get the screw in there, but you have to push pretty hard while turning to get the screw started.  My bracket was like this at first, it gets better with time.