Sign in to follow this  
Th0m

What size will it be this time

:why:I'm not sure if my question is with the cutter or the software. When I go to put text it asks to put the letter size. I set this and proceed to finish it and then when i cut it the cutter cuts it what ever size it wants. I've tried this three diffrent settings and always the cutter cuts the same. I've got the same problem with graphics, it cuts what it wants no matter what size i make it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks    Thom

Hello Thom,

You do not say what software you are using?

However i have had this question in various ways many times in the past.

99.999% of the time you are in the wrong format for size.

Are you in mm when you think you are in inches?

or in inches when you think you are using millimeters?

If not and you are using SignBlazer let me know and i will assist you if this does not resolve the problem.

Jerry from SignBlazer.

Sorry about that, i'm using Sign Blazer. I'm setting the font size to 4 inches and what i'm getting is about 2.5 to 3. I tried going to 5 inches and it just cut the same it done the first time. Then i used a flame and set it to 12 by 30 inches. What i got was about 8 by 30. It was distorted like it done the length but not the height.

Hope this helps                          Thom

I have noticed this once or twice when a customer messes with some settings in SignBlazer, specifically the cutting size correction. To get to it, click on Cutter, then Setup, and it is on this screen where you can access cutting size correction. All of my fields say 3.94. I have found that if it is anything else, the cutting size is off.

Hello,

Without being in front of your computer it is hard to see exactly what is causing this size difference.

However the size correction feature is for correcting vinyl cutters that do not cut exactly to size.

It is easy to use however first a warning.

----------Make sure this size difference is constant. If it is not then you have another problem ---------

Simply cut a square of say 550mm (i know that you most likely use inches however it is easier in mm) and then in the cutting size correction type in the expected size of 550mm and into the actual size type in the size the cutter actually cut.

Then you should have the correct size all the time.

Jerry from SignBlazer.

I changed it to 3.94 and it's doing alot better. I havn't had much time lately to try it out good but I do understand what your saying about expected size and actual size. I'll set it that way next time i use it.

Thank you guys very much you've been a great help

Thom

I had a similar problem, I noticed that the type size wasn't accurate if you measured it.  Now I set my sign size and just proportion the letters to look good in that particular sign.  It seems to work ok.

Hello Frankie,

This is about font size and the actual cutting size.

First of all the font most used in the world for sign standards is Helvetica Medium.

This has H003 after it in the SignBlazer list.

All fonts have what is called the X height.

This is literally the height of the capital letter X.

After all we do have to have some standard.

Now put in (sorry i am a millimeter guy and cannot come to grips with inches so just substitute inches for millimeters) a height of 50mm  or 2 inches and type the word as follows exactly -----

Great News

You will find that when you select the words that on the bottom of the screen it will say

104.3 mm high!

Now why is that?

This is  the knub of it.

The X height of a letter is not the final height.

It is the height of the capital letter X.

All letters with curves are actually bigger than ones without.

So a capital G is bigger than a capital X.

This is so the human eye is fooled into thinking they are all the SAME SIZE.

If you made rounded letters finish on the base line as do letter such a N, M, X and so then when viewed they would look smaller.

So if the size is super important after you type up the text use the size change at the bottom of the screen to set the size to what you want..

Hope this helps

Jerry from SignBlazer.