Sign in to follow this  
itsgdubs

Cutting Numbers

Newbie Question Here.

I am looking at buying a vinyl cutter to cut number( 6" and 8"). All I need to do is cut the vinyl and backing completely so they are all able to be sold individually. What is the best way to do this?

type a number 1234567890 and then size it -- then cut it

design in inkscape - its free

and cut in Sign Blazer i think thats free

and you will need a cutter

I know how to do that i am just wondering if i will be able to cut through both layers and not have a problem.

I've done it a few times on accident, so yes its possible.  you just set the blade 'too deep'  on the MH cutters, there are two cutting strips, one for regular cutting, and one for cut through...

I am wondering how it will turn on because the material will not be attached to anything towards the end. I am wondering if when the machine moves the vinyl it it will shift it and mess up the quality.

Guest sciondrgn

You will cut your lettering/numbering through the vinyl only, Then weed away the unwanted material and cover with transfer tape to be applied by your customer. You would take your numbers and straight edge them or use a table top cutter or blade to separate them into pieces to be sold.

Although these machines will cut through both layers quite easily you will have a hard time keeping tracking of the vinyl and such straight and the vinyl will more than likely jam in the process of cutting larger batches

I know of the way using transfer tape, we need to sell them without transfer tape. Thats why I was wondering if I would be able to cut through both layers.

You don't need to cut all the way through the backing paper to sell them individually.  Just cut them, weed them and cut them out in squares.  This is pretty much the same thing as having the whole number cut out, you don't need app tape to apply them.

Its just the way that they have been done for 30+ years in our industry and people are used to that. We recently lost our main supplier and we are trying to fill the gap. It seems that people dont like to do it another way, even through transfer tape would be so much easier.

This will be something you will have to tell them will be the way they are done by you or they can go elsewhere. It's really not that big of a deal.

how can you cut all the way thru - i dont think it can be done - yes it will do it but it will not turn out right

if your cutting a 9 if it cuts the out side first whats going to hold the 9 in place to cut the center

same thing goes for any number - when it starts it should be fine but when it cuts the end of it there is nothing to hold it into place on the rollers

You would have to use a carrier sheet like graphtec and cricut sells to cut all the way thru

If peeling the number off of a square piece of backing paper makes a difference to the people then I guess you will be spending a lot of time tracing around the numbers with an x-acto knife. doesn't make sense to me. What are the numbers used for?

yeah I was thinking that it would need some type of carrier sheet. I was thinking of trying using transfer paper on the back to hold it all together. I used to program industrial cutters for vinyl pool liners and pool covers, so i will have no problem coding it to cut the centers first.