Sign in to follow this  
windasm

How to deal with customer that changes his mind about the design?

I made a couple of signs for a customer after he okayed the design on what he wanted put on them. The day after I made them he called and said he wanted something added to them. I cant possibly add anything to them without re designing the whole thing.

Should I just charge him double on what I first quoted him or what? How would you guys deal with this?

Thanks

Depends on whether it is an easily made change in vinyl, or a complete redo as it would on a printed sign.      Did you tell him you had already made the signs when he called with the change?

Also do you think this is a one time customer you would rather fire or is it someone you really would like to keep...  I redid half of a sandwich board sign for free as I knew it would lead to more work later...and I was out my time and about $5 in vinyl. But you can bet if it was a PIA customer that really was not profitable in the first place it would have been charged for.

Short answer... play it by ear.

Guest YHC

Piggy backing off of the info Truckntran gave.

This would probably have been better to take care of before hanging up the phone. I think I would have stated that you already completed the work based off of the approved design. Then explained what it would take to make those changes and let the customer decide if they would like to invest the money for these changes. If its a customer that will provide repeat business then cut the cost in half or do it for free if it was a simple job.

Going to be a little harder to sell this pitch having to call them back up.

He was informed the very day the signs was done. Actually He had his mom to call me the next day after to make the changes. At the time I was putting a decal on a car so I told her I didn't know if I could make the changes or not until I looked at them again.

This guy could probably bring me in more business for me from other people,but he would probably act as a go in between so he could make a buck or 2. I'm thinking this would be more trouble than it would be worth.

I'll probably just cut out the extra wording he wanted added and let him add it to the sign himself.

Thanks for the suggestions.

"I'll probably just cut out the extra wording he wanted added and let him add it to the sign himself."

good idea.Let him learn a lesson or two.

"I'll probably just cut out the extra wording he wanted added and let him add it to the sign himself."

defiantly agree with John

Gonna disagree. Charge him extra. From the sounds of it, the guy's gonna put the extra on himself crooked then tell everyone you did it and make a bad rep.

Tell him to take the sign he approved or pay extra for the changes. In a nice manner. :-[