Sign in to follow this  
forsalevinylsigns

Fixing vinyl cutters

Well  :huh: two of my cutting plotters dont work. Its going to cost almost $1k to fix my graphtec and maybe another $500 for my other one.

Anyone know of any books or other material that deals with fixing vinyl cutters. I would like to learn how to fix vinyl cutters so i can do it myself. Any help would be apreciated, thanks!!!!

I doubt that you will find anything.  what's the matter with your Graphtec?  Gosh, for a a few hundred more, you can buy a new Graphtec.

what's the matter with your Graphtec?

Every time I turn it on, I hear a clicking noise and the power button turns on and then it turns off for 5 seconds and then turns on again and the clicking noise too. The screen flashes and turns off too. I talked to a guy who fixxes them and he quoted me at the most $1,200. I also have a US Cutter Laserpoint 54'' that doesnt turn on; i had it connected to the wall and all of a sudden my computer got messed up and the cutter messed up. Now the laserpoint wont even turn on, before when it turned on, it was cutting really bad. Thats why I want to learn how to learn how to fix em myself...

oh I remember,  Your the one with the Graphtec-FC 7000mk-130  that  comes one.. and goes off.  the one you just bought, and your friend saw it running, but not you,,  Did the tech support say what was wrong with it? 

oh I remember,  Your the one with the Graphtec-FC 7000mk-130  that  comes one.. and goes off.  the one you just bought, and your friend saw it running, but not you,,  Did the tech support say what was wrong with it? 

He said it could be the main board or the power supply or a solenoid or it can be both or other things that need calibration. Im not sure what would need calibration, but he said the power supply is gonna cost around $320 bucks(not including shipping) and the main board is $600+(not inlcuding shipping)And thats if I do it myself and hopefully it works :- I think this is a good way to start learning how to repair them so if any issues come up in the future I can fix em myself and not pay sum1 $1K or more.

Do you know how the power supplies can be tested to see if they're the problem? I know with computer power supplies it can, but im not sure if the vinly cutters are the same..

Was the carriage secured during shipment?  does it move freely when the unit is turned off now?  Does anything move when it is trying to turn on?

The little black box thats next to the blade holder is cracked; would that be the carriage? nothing moves when its tries to turn on, but I do hear a clicking sound to the left of the plotter...

the blade holder is attached to the carriage and with the power off it should slide freely

Do you know how the power supplies can be tested to see if they're the problem? I know with computer power supplies it can, but im not sure if the vinly cutters are the same..

The power supply will have 110v inputs (coming from the wall) and DC outputs on a board or wires from a box.  You can test the voltage of these with a multimeter. 

You aren't going to find any books on fixing cutters alone.  Its pretty much the same as fixing any electro-mechanical device, you just need to troubleshoot it starting from the power in to the point where it stops working.  If you can get a schematic for the graphtec, that will help you a lot.

I wouldn't pay that much to fix it..

Guest YHC

There really isn't allot to these machines. When it comes to repairing them its pretty plug and play on most parts. Unless you know how to test circuts on a board and use meters you pretty much are replacing parts.

So then you have to weigh what the part cost verse how much a new or used machine runs. I would try and find a used one like you have and save the good parts from the old ones so that you might be able to fix something that might break down the road.

just had an idea that there is a market for repairing cutter boards - both power supply and mainboards.  A opportunity fro someone to cater to an open market