Sign in to follow this  
Xw00dsrac3rX

Illustrator 2 color cut set up help please....

Hello all,

I am trying to accomplish a very basic function in illustrator.  I am trying to make a 2 color vinyl decal, obviously cutting the background (outline) and then the foreground as a different color.  The problem I am having is removing the paths inside the stroke so just the outside path is there.  When sent to the cutter it cuts every path there.  I tried the pathfinder options and had no luck.  I know to outline the text and outline the stroke but I also trie the combine feature and now im just lost and mixed up, even after trying to read some tutorials. 

illustratorpic.jpg

That is where Im at with it and would really appreciate some advice from some of the more knowledgeable folks out there with illustrator. 

I am using:

Illustrator CS4 - to design

FlexiStarter - to cut

Thank you in advance...

As far as I see, there is no "weld" option on any of the menus. 

Ive tried every option on the pathfinder menu and tried compounding/uncompounding..grouping/ungrouping.  Im sure the program is more than capable of doing what I need it to, the problem is user error haha.  Im just hoping there is someone out there who got this down or is smarter than me at this point...

This is CS4 by the way

Thanks

You have a weld option on Flexistarter, you can weld them there.  after opening the cut/plot screen  on the advanced tab  in Flexistarter 8.6 it is the blade picture with the + sign at top of screen.

In illustrator you need to combine them by using the compound path tool, it makes them one shape and ready to be cut.