Sign in to follow this  
gatorb8

another noob with 1000 questions

I've read most of the noob "which cutter" threads. Here's my background:

I want to cut graphics for RC airplanes. I have upwards of 15 planes and many friends with planes so I think the thing will be busy. The planes only last about a year due to the , ah, extreme low altitude stunt flying style I've adopted. Planes range from 2' to 10' wingspan. I've bought about $150 in vinyl graphics and it didn't go far so I'm gonna start doing it myself. I'm retired and have a technical background and don't mind spending time to do this.

A lot of what I need is text in various sizes and fonts from .5" to 13". I would like to do some graphics and have seen and bought some multilayer vinyl. I think this requires contour cutting and laying one on top of the other? Is this difficult / time consuming?

As an alternative, I am also thinking about printing and cutting. I think that requires contour cutter? My wife has a HP B9180 printer that will roll print to about 13" wide. It uses archive quality pigmented ink. Could I print graphics with that on a printable vinyl and move it to a cutter to cut. That would eliminate the multi layer vinyl (difficult) process? Would I need to cover it in clear or will the ink be colorfast to the printable vinyl?

I was looking at the copam and the graphtec robo pro. I like the auto alignment on the robo pro. Will the copam do contour, if so, is it difficult? Any thoughts?

thanks

To answer some of your questions, multi layer vinyl is not contour cutting.  You simply put a registration mark in the software that is cut with each color, and use those marks to layer the graphics on top of eachother either on the substrate or on one piece of transfer paper before.  its not difficult, youtube has some great videos on how to do it if you do a little searching, I also know there are some posted here as well.  You do 10 or 20 decals and you will have the hang of it.

Yes...your wife's printer should print on a printable vinyl and it should hold up relatively well with pigment inks, you will probably have to order sheet vinyl or cut down a roll, but it would work.  I would also look into an overlaminate....although you may not need one because your prints don't last terribly long because the planes are destroyed.  When you print it, it prints registration marks, you then can load it into a cutter with a manual with your eye or laser alignment, or one of the automatic optical eye cutters.  The optical eye cutters are the best,  but of course are more pricey.  You use the software to align the cutter to your print, and it "contour cuts" around the printed graphics so the exess can be weeded away. 

The craft robo you mentioned I think only cuts like 8 or 10 inches wide....which is too small in my opinion to consider...but if thats all the wider you want to go you might consider it.

If it were me I would look at either laserpoint, a roland gx24, or a graphtech ce series (the 24" one).  For the cutting you want to do I think the laserpoint would be the best because of price, however if you can spring for the more expensive machines they are far superior.  It also is possible to contour cut with a refine MH seriers cutter, but it is much more involved and you must have flexi to my knowledge...probably works with other software but thats the one I can vouch for.    You have to line it up by your eye because there is no laser.....but it works because its what I use currently.

thanks for reply!

Do you know if the LP does the contour alignment automatically or is it manually done? Not sure how that works.

Manual alignment witht he LP - you would have to go Graphtec or Roland to get auto

If you're going to be doing graphics up to 10', I'd go with the Graphtec. The tracking on the LP isn't quite as accurate.

for your needs I second the graphtec.  why the contour cutting - do you have a printer?

If you're going to be doing graphics up to 10', I'd go with the Graphtec. The tracking on the LP isn't quite as accurate.

I think max length of any graphic would be 2-3' on one wing half.

for your needs I second the graphtec.  why the contour cutting - do you have a printer?

yeah, 1st post, HP B9180. I think it will work on printable vinyl, uses pigment based inks

Does uscutter carry any good printable vinyl? I see a banner roll, not sure if that is the right stuff or overkill. I just want to print, cut, laminate, cut, and stick on my planes. Would need to be fuel/oil resistant.

Bannerroll is not what you want - that is for a roll of banner material held in place by grommets.  search the forum for printable vinyl - there are several threads on that

Bannerroll is not what you want - that is for a roll of banner material held in place by grommets.  search the forum for printable vinyl - there are several threads on that

I found the threads with suggestions, but couldn't find it at uscutter. Didn't know if I just don't know how to specify or they don't carry?

lots of didn'ts and don'ts....

I'm thinking this through a little more.

Anything I print for contour printing will come out of a standard printer, I think that pretty much limits me to 8.5 x 17 for contour cutting. Can I run 8.5 x 17 vinyl sheets through the LP24?

The vinyl rolls come in 24" so I guess I would be cutting it in 8.5 x 17 to print and then running through the LP24 for contour cut. Or just buy sheet printable vinyl.

If I'm just doing single color text and graphics the LP24 will use the 24" roll.

I am comparing this to the Graphtec robo pro. Sounds like the contour cutting would be the similar except for auto registration. The Text / graphics would be limited to 15" and I would need to cut down the 24" vinyl rolls to fit the 15" (19" total) robo. Cutting down the rolls sounds like more of a pain and wasteful than say just doing it for the occasional contour cut.

given my needs, occasional small print/contour cuts and mostly text/ single color graphics I think the LP 24 is the way to go. Agree?

And for an occasional print job I would recommend fivestar or james605 to do the printing on their eco sol printers - they are VERY reasonable and do quick good work

And for an occasional print job I would recommend fivestar or james605 to do the printing on their eco sol printers - they are VERY reasonable and do quick good work

I'm a retired tinkerer so don't mind the time invested to do the occasional print / contour. I like the problem solving and creative challange.

thanks for the suggestion.

Now i need to research what I need in one order. cutter, vinyl, best blades?, pen?, application tape, squeege, weeding tools, s/w,.....

suggestions welcome!

I'm thinking this through a little more.

Anything I print for contour printing will come out of a standard printer, I think that pretty much limits me to 8.5 x 17 for contour cutting. Can I run 8.5 x 17 vinyl sheets through the LP24?

The vinyl rolls come in 24" so I guess I would be cutting it in 8.5 x 17 to print and then running through the LP24 for contour cut. Or just buy sheet printable vinyl.

If I'm just doing single color text and graphics the LP24 will use the 24" roll.

I am comparing this to the Graphtec robo pro. Sounds like the contour cutting would be the similar except for auto registration. The Text / graphics would be limited to 15" and I would need to cut down the 24" vinyl rolls to fit the 15" (19" total) robo. Cutting down the rolls sounds like more of a pain and wasteful than say just doing it for the occasional contour cut.

given my needs, occasional small print/contour cuts and mostly text/ single color graphics I think the LP 24 is the way to go. Agree?

I just found the 15" rolls of vinyl so that throws out one of my concerns on the robo pro...

Not to throw ANOTHER wrench into your plans...but if I were you if you have the space I would get a 24" cutter.  Trust me, as myself and many others have found you may think you are only going to use this for a certain purpose that may only require a cutter to do 15" wide...but once you have the cutter you find all sorts of uses for it you never thought of, and a larger size is always a good step.

That said...if you are looking at spending 899 on the craft robo PRO that does 15" wide (which is a great solid cutter btw) I would look at the zencut green series.

http://www.uscutter.com/ZenCut-Green-Series-Vinyl-Cutter_p_1179.html

These zencut cutters are rebranded gcc cutters for UScutter, and you can find reviews about the gcc's all over the place.  They are a solid machine...gives you 24" capabilities, also does auto registration, will cut with higher downforce (if I remember right), and only costs $100 more.  If I were you...thats where my money would go.  A larger cutter will do all the same small stuff, and then if you ever get a friend who wants a sign made, or any number of things that is easier to do with a larger cutter, you have it covered.  GCC's are solidly built quality machines as well as the reviews will show.  They would be a solid step above the laserpoint in quality IMO.

Not to throw ANOTHER wrench into your plans...but if I were you if you have the space I would get a 24" cutter.  Trust me, as myself and many others have found you may think you are only going to use this for a certain purpose that may only require a cutter to do 15" wide...but once you have the cutter you find all sorts of uses for it you never thought of, and a larger size is always a good step.

That said...if you are looking at spending 899 on the craft robo PRO that does 15" wide (which is a great solid cutter btw) I would look at the zencut green series.

http://www.uscutter.com/ZenCut-Green-Series-Vinyl-Cutter_p_1179.html

These zencut cutters are rebranded gcc cutters for UScutter, and you can find reviews about the gcc's all over the place.  They are a solid machine...gives you 24" capabilities, also does auto registration, will cut with higher downforce (if I remember right), and only costs $100 more.  If I were you...thats where my money would go.  A larger cutter will do all the same small stuff, and then if you ever get a friend who wants a sign made, or any number of things that is easier to do with a larger cutter, you have it covered.  GCC's are solidly built quality machines as well as the reviews will show.  They would be a solid step above the laserpoint in quality IMO.

Thanks, I'll take a look. Agree that $100 to go from 15" to 24" is a nobrainer if the quality is good.