Can you make it with a material markup percent that the user can input? Most of my quotes use the 2X markup but if I'm doing a large order I may use a smaller markup percent.

Ken

o man your gonna have my brain workin too hard. im gonna do one thing at a time. im still new to excel so im learning as i go. and trying to manipulate everything to work seamlessly is a pain too

glad i could help out. im still working on the formulas and stuff and how to incorporate everything. heres what i got so far...

in addition to the material(vinyl) calculator im adding another calculator to get a price if you charge by the hour as well as charge per sq ft with different ways to adjust the price. there are 10 spaces to adjust the price with price altering things like weeding, setup time, complex artwork, ect.

you estimate how long it will take you in minutes and hours. it converts that input to decimal time so it can be used in a formula. it adds up all the time you have listed. it takes the hourly rate and multiplies that by how long it takes to give the the price to charge for that particular job.

it takes the cost of material you charge per sq ft from the material calculator as well as the app tape and adds them together. i put in a percent markup in there 100% doubles the price you charge for material and app tape (you dont have to charge for app tape if you dont want to, you would just put a 0 in that box.)

i have a box that show the substrate cost from the material calculator as well.

there is an actual cost in there for labor only. the retail price includes the actual price plus the substrate cost (if any) plus the markup on the material (if any).

it seems to work ok. im getting tired so im stopping. i racked my brain enough for tonight haha

so all in all when im completely finished you will have 2 ways to calculate.

one way by an hourly rate and the other way without. i think before i release the next update im going to incorporate the letter pricing if you just have a lettering job.

i thought it would be a good idea to have someone test this for me. i can only do calculation backed with a calculator. i need someone who has actually been in the business and see if it adds up to what they would actually charge. to me i feel its way way expensive but thats just me. im new to this. so if youd like to test this for me shoot me a PM and ill send you the file before i release it.

edit - i figured out why it was so much. i was doubling everything haha ooooops. but id still like someone to test it or a few people just to be on the safe side

an update is in progress for this. i have talked to ken and he was nice enough to test it out for me on his end. if all is well ill clean it up and update the files.

i still need suggestions and ideas.

the possibilities are endless.

Hey this is pretty cool. Looks like it works fine for me, and I was just trying to figure out how to charge since I'm new to biz. Thank you, great job! ;)

thanks and thats exactly why i made it cuz im new to it too. o btw to everyone who likes this or uses it im still working on an update. been working 13 hour days at my fulltime job and havent had much time to do anything. expect an update this weekend.

it has been updated and uploaded. please see the first post for changed and to grab the new one. any questions please feel free to shoot a message or email.

Grabbed it - looks great. Looking forward to using this. Thank you for all your hard work on this.

Paulzeee, 

$2.50 divided by 12 is 20.83 cents - you have to divide by 12 again to get the per sq in price - of about 1.74 cents. 

12 cents per square inch times 144 sq in per sq foot would be $17.28 per square foot. 

If you want to use 12 cents per sq inch - just enter 17.28 into the box for cost per sq ft.

-Mike

after carefully looking over my formulas and stuff like that i decided it wasnt right. im updating it and making it more efficient. youll still be able to use one calculator or the other (charge by the hour). im also going to be adding a calculator for letters as in if you just want to charge by the letter for signs. also going to make a centralized sheet for all of the totals all in one place instead of having to go to each sheet to find prices. i tried to implement this into microsoft access for the database feature. i thought it would be a hell of alot more efficient and able to create invoices very easily but i have no idea how to use access. maybe some day tho  B)

expect an update over the weekend...

Paulzeee, 

$2.50 divided by 12 is 20.83 cents - you have to divide by 12 again to get the per sq in price - of about 1.74 cents. 

12 cents per square inch times 144 sq in per sq foot would be $17.28 per square foot. 

If you want to use 12 cents per sq inch - just enter 17.28 into the box for cost per sq ft.

-Mike

your hired as my personal mathematician haha. i suck at math. i guess i shouldnt be saying that since 99% of this thing depends on math calculations  B)  B)

The Update is taking longer than expected. im actually creating an invoicing thing as well to go along with it. this includes a product list, as well as a customer list. basically keeps a "database" of your customers and products easily selectable through the invoice. im trying to create it as simple as possible and im trying to have everything flow together flawlessly. some things wont be able to tho like the price. thats probably the only thing youll have to enter in manually since the price is most likely going to be different for every job. ill have it done this week hopefully.

ok so im still working on it. completely over hauling it due to me learning new things with excel. i have one question tho...

im putting in a formal discount thing. it can either be a quantity discount or dollar amount discount. i dont think i can incorporate both. if i can i will. but in the meantime which would you prefer. qty or dollar?

also im adding in a centralized place to "customize" the calculator to your liking. im adding 3 separate hourly charges. the initial shop hourly then artwork and design hourly then a misc hourly for whatever. if you want to charge an hourly rate separately. all of this will be on one sheet along with the calculator so you dont have to go from sheet to sheet. also a markup percentage

adding a letter calculator. completely customized to your liking as well. you can have up to 25 different size and price variations for letters. once that is calculated it gets the markup percentage added along with your hourly rate if you want.

adding a full customer list to help ease the filling out of invoices. single dropdown with all your customers.

adding a product list. dropdown will be in invoice. im sure some of use a certain product for a decal of sorts or whatever.

um i cant remember anything else. o the invoice portion is fully interactive. you can choose to have a discount or not choose to have shipping or not. all options for altering the calculators and invoice will be on one sheet. changes made will affect the entire workbook.

there will be a hidden sheet for all the calculations in case youd like to change something. not recommended tho. specially the invoice because i got that as a template on office online or whatever its called.

it should work with older versions of excel as well. ill try to fully test it on both version since i use office 2007. ill make necessary changes for compatibility.

might not have a full file update till this weekend.

o and if you want anything added that you think might be a good idea let me know now or forever hold your peace cuz once im done with this i probably wont be updating it as frequently

Talk about going the extra mile. This sounds like the Ultimate estimating calculator and I know I speak for many that 'you da man' and you have my undying appreciation. Looking forward to the "final" version. Thank you so much.  :thumbsup:;D

Guest YHC

Talk about going the extra mile. This sounds like the Ultimate estimating calculator and I know I speak for many that 'you da man' and you have my undying appreciation. Looking forward to the "final" version. Thank you so much.  :thumbsup:;D

+12 ;D Thank you for this great tool!

thank you both. i appreciate it.

so a little update on the update:

ive pretty much got the invoicing part done. just have to add in a qty discount, dollar amount discount, and a reagular percentage discount as a whole. you can select your layout. Invoice, Estimate, or Packing slip. the layout will change accordingly. i put in a "localization" selection for different currencies. it just changes the symbol to make it customized to your liking. on the sid of the invoice there are plenty of options to choose from.

havent even started the calculator part yet. once i do tho it will be all on 1 page just organized a little better. that way everything will be right there at your disposal. its going to have a grand totals at the bottom of each section added into one super total for the entire shebang. its going to coincide with the invoice as well. there will be options to "import" the data (just the costs and QTYs(if any)) from the calculator. the only way i can do this is if i set aside a couple of rows in the actual invoice. you cant enter test or anything into a cell that already has a formula. thats the only way i know how to do it right now. i dont know the excel programming at all so im stuck with just formulas.

anyway, its coming along. slowly but surely. im hoping by the end of the weekend ill have it all done and ready to distribute.

Haha hopefully.  My ultimate goal is to make something simple and free that does basically the same thing. Some things are automated and some are not. If I knew the programming it would all be automated but it is. what it is and it'll serve its purpose.

iVE TRIED ESTI-MATES AND GRAPHCALC I THINK IT WAS AND I GOTTA TELL YA FOR THE MONEY THEY SUCK.  THEY CALLED ME WANTED ME TO BUY IT AND I WAS LIKE  UMMMM  NO