Sign in to follow this  
Print Star

first transfers kickin my butt!

I have been trying to do some heat transfers with no luck!

Got them from Springhill. Tested temp of press with laser thermometor before start.

375 for 7-10 secs, peel hot!

none of them turned out. adjusted pressure on press as per their website. Tried diff times and temps and nothing helped. When I was trying to peel them off it was very difficult and was stretching the shirts!

Could they be "bad" transfers? And how would you know?

any help or suggestions would be great!

going to take them to a friends tomorrow and try them on his press to see if I get any better results. Starting to get expensive!

post-2105-12986550412452_thumb.jpg

post-2105-12986550413237_thumb.jpg

post-2105-12986550426781_thumb.jpg

post-2105-12986550427397_thumb.jpg

I would contact them - could be the transfers or temps really are off. even try adding some time like 25 seconds

Although new at this I was having a lot of problems and I like you thought bad transfers?  Nope,  me the user.  I finally figured it out and I am now happy and haven't had a problem since.  You just need to keep trying different things until you get it right.

Here is what worked for me I made the temp 10 degree higher than they said have the pressure at maximum (told by a supplier) and add maybe 2-3 seconds to the time.

The trick for me even though it said it was a hot peel as soon as the lid popped up (I have a auto open) I took a old shirt and rubbed it back and forth all over the transfer for a few second then peeled slowly.  Worked like a charm and what do you have to lose turn the shirt over and give it a try.  I am assuming you are also preheating the platen for about 20 seconds and then preheating the shirt a few seconds to get the moisture out.  Good luck

Mr. 300's has some good tips.

When you checked your temp did you check multiple spots on the platten?

It seems the area messing up is always in the middle. check the temp on the outside edges and the middle. I check like 9 spots 3 across the front 3 across the middle and 3 in the back. my cheapo press ranges by about 10 degrees so I bump my temp up so that the coolest spot is just a bit warmer than recommended.

Thanks for all the tips. I have not had time today to work with them. I will get back after it tomorrow and let ya know what happens.

Jeff-I checked in 9 places also. There was adifference from the front to the back but I made sure that the lowest temp was the suggested temp. about 15 degrees diff from front to back. Back being cooler.

300- I will try your suggestions. tried bumping up and adding time but will try the rubbing thing also.

Thanks

Kenny

Guest manwayvan

Not sure if this is correct so dont quote me but I tried my hand at some stuff and I noticed when I had alot of material bunched up that I was getting this same effect. I am assuming that it is the fact that the temp is not getting hot enough in that area or that the fact I had too much material bunched up that the pressure was off also( I was trying to press a graphic on the sleeve is the reason for the material bunching). Sorry if this doesnt make since I have a million things going on right now but thought I would try to give my experience.

Guest fivestar

Could also be that your upper platen is warped.

if that is the case is the press junk for transfers?

It does my names and numbers with HTV fine.

if that is the case is the press junk for transfers?

It does my names and numbers with HTV fine.

I just think you still need to play around with it.  Took me a while and I was all set to mail them back to the company that sold them to me and then I finally just got it.  Cut the transfers into strips and then try different setting etc that way you don't waste the whole transfer all at once and you can use the same shirt in different places.

If I had to make a wild guess I would say it's user error easy weed etc are very forgiving and easy to use transfers are  a different animal.

Make sure you have the most pressure that was what the transfer company stressed to me and keep trying..  If you want to send me your address I would be willing to send you a couple small transfers that I have pressed fine to see if they will work?

OK! Think I finally have this thing figured out!

Had to take the press to 405 and add lots of pressure for 20 seconds. Glad it worked because that is all my press has! Older National Screenprint brand.

Thanks for all the advice and help!

Kenny

post-2105-12986550701548_thumb.jpg

post-2105-12986550702348_thumb.jpg

post-2105-12986550713919_thumb.jpg

post-2105-12986550714606_thumb.jpg

Make sure you have the most pressure that was what the transfer company stressed
Had to take the press to 405 and add lots of pressure

Looking good,   I knew if you kept playing around you would get it,  I guess it's just human nature to blame the manufacturer first as most do when in fact like anything else it just takes experience and practice..  I was all set to mail mine back until I finally got it LOL...

They look good, I just got my 1100 in so now another whole new ball game to start....