Sign in to follow this  
VendettaVinyl

if you......

own a sign shop, would you hire a college student simply asking for knowledge as payment? I have sent e-mails to any small shop in the area and havent gotten one reply. Would you, or am I wasting these company's time.

lol if your wanting to work at a sign shop for free to learn the ropes you are wasting their time.

This would mean a competitor (you) would learn how they do business and then turn around and be against them.

dont tell them you want to do it just to learn the business and work for free. tell them it is a field you greatly enjoy and dont mind working for a lower amount than others are asking for

lol if your wanting to work at a sign shop for free to learn the ropes you are wasting their time.

This would mean a competitor (you) would learn how they do business and then turn around and be against them.

exactly! When I first started out I couldn't get the time of day from anyone. They were SO afraid of competition. I have since found out why. Back then, they were highly over-priced and were afraid someone  else would offer decent prices and take their business.

A lot of them are still that way.

If your college degree is somewhat related to the field, you could do it as an internship, or possibly an independent study and get credits for it.

There's no reason to work for free, anyway, just try to get a job at a sign shop..

No I am the student looking to work for knowledge (aka free)

got it. go to your school and see if they have an intern program. then get the job via that program.

otherwise working for free is generally in violation of federal and state labor laws.

The intern/co-op programs at any schools are down. And I got to Cincinnati State which has the best program like that in the nation. I said in the e-mail I just want to be around the field. Never that I wanted to learn how they do things. I mentioned my school and that it could be a think thru them for my credits for my degree. But havent gotten any replies so guess they left me with no choice but to get my degree and run them outta town.