Sign in to follow this  
Booper

First banners tomorrow, any tips?

Im attempting my very first banners tomorrow, doing all the cutting tonight and the install tomorrow. Im starting out small for my very first banners, 3 feet by SIXTEEN FEET!!!! LOL!

Im gonna have to do these on the floor in the garage as I dont have a table that long, and wall to wall carpeting everywhere else, im looking for any pointers, tips, FYI's and do's and don'ts from everyone here (especially Banner John) that has experience in doing banners this length and having them come out looking pro, and what to charge for them (owner is a good personal friend of mine).

I plan on doing them wet (Rapid Tac) to give me a little extra insurance not screwing them up. Here's the design, there's 2 of them going on the outside of the building.

Many thanks for the help folks!!!

post-6169-12986550311904_thumb.jpg

post-6169-12986550329354_thumb.jpg

measure and mark everything. ON a banner that size I would start in the center and work towards the left, then the right..one line at a time.Be SURE and squeegee really well and pull the app tape slowly. And be sure and use PAPER tape not clear. I've been doing all banners dry lately but I found a banner material that is not really slick and glossy..which makes dry a lot easier. Also been using my own version of the 'big squeegee' which,so far,has produced perfect with no bubbles every time.

Just take it slow. That's the best advice I can give/ and keep the dog or cat out of the room.

measure and mark everything. ON a banner that size I would start in the center and work towards the left, then the right..one line at a time.Be SURE and squeegee really well and pull the app tape slowly. And be sure and use PAPER tape not clear. I've been doing all banners dry lately but I found a banner material that is not really slick and glossy..which makes dry a lot easier. Also been using my own version of the 'big squeegee' which,so far,has produced perfect with no bubbles every time.

Just take it slow. That's the best advice I can give/ and keep the dog or cat out of the room.

Definately

LOL! No worries the cat doesn't come out to the garage. When you say work from the center do you mean center hinge all the lettering or the center of the banner.  Also when you were doing it wet on a level surface how long did you wait before attempting to remove the app tape?

work from the center of the banner. If you mark you text centered too, it will come out equal on both ends. When I do wet, I usually pull the tape within 5 minutes but have waited overnight if I wasn't in a hurry.

TIP: Don't try to do too much at once. My rule is, never any more than the length of my outstretched arms.

ahhhh ok. Good tip. I cut all the white lettering as one panel so that may be a bit of a @#$^ to do but I did that to maintain vertical spacing.  My plan is to position the lettering where I want it, hinge it down the middle, pull up the left side as you suggested, peel off the backing paper and cut it off, spray the banner surface with app fluid & the adhesive side of the decal, lay it down and squeegie the everloving @#$^ out of it and repeat on the right side. Does this sound like a good approach to it??