Sign in to follow this  
VendettaVinyl

How do you.........umm.....

Guys, I have a local new bar on the line now, and they need me to redo a back lit sign, not a problem. But the issue is that it has paint on it and its old! Since its plastic i am not sure if paint remover is a good idea.

The sign is almost 40 years old, dont know if we is gonna want to spend the money on a new face plate

I'd just get them a new sign face and vinyl that.

This is one of those jobs where you do it right or don't do it at all really.

If they need the old paint off i would tell them to take it off, then after they try and get pissed they can pay for a new face and vinyl

VV,

I would agree with everyone else. It is not worth the hassle trying to remove the paint and old vinyl from their current face. It will be so much easier to get a new face.

I would advise the customer that if they want you to use the current face its going to cost more in labor trying to remove the old stuff than it would to just buy a new face.

I just told him if he want me to take it down and try and clean it, that would run him around 650 bucks and he almost had a heart attack. I told him either to get an employee to attempt to clean it (cuz Im not) or buying a new face for it. Also showed him some newer ones for on Craigslist, and told him I thought that was the best way to go so they can redo the lighting because the current one is crap.

Just seeing what you guys thought and where on the same page as me

I think you choose the right option. sometimes its better to be honest and not take a job then to get into something that is more than you can handle.

rule of thumb on old sign plastic, if it breaks, is damaged or is altered in anyway while in your possession, it's your fault. Doesn't matter that it was a piece of crap when you started, they will tell everyone you scrfewed it up.

the quote would go something like this "Yeah I told the idiot over at the new sign shop I just needed the letters freshened up on my sign and he destroyed the damn thing. It's been up there for 40 years and we haven't had a single problem with it. He's had for 1 dqy and it's crap, Now he's saying I need a new one. "

You get the picture. Get a waiver on every [piece of sign material that you have to remove from an old sign saying your not responsible if it breaks due to it's age. 5 year old lexan on a south facing wall will crack 50% of the time when you take it out and start moving it around in the shop.

Kevin

rule of thumb on old sign plastic, if it breaks, is damaged or is altered in anyway while in your possession, it's your fault. Doesn't matter that it was a piece of crap when you started, they will tell everyone you scrfewed it up.

the quote would go something like this "Yeah I told the idiot over at the new sign shop I just needed the letters freshened up on my sign and he destroyed the damn thing. It's been up there for 40 years and we haven't had a single problem with it. He's had for 1 dqy and it's crap, Now he's saying I need a new one. "

You get the picture. Get a waiver on every [piece of sign material that you have to remove from an old sign saying your not responsible if it breaks due to it's age. 5 year old lexan on a south facing wall will crack 50% of the time when you take it out and start moving it around in the shop.

Kevin

definitely agree - it would be brittle and no good could come of trying to save it