dixie

Help with color layers

I thought I posted this in a previous discussion here but don't see at all where it is appearing.

if I double did it...SORRY!

anyways... here's where I STILL need help!

I think I m complicating matters...or just can't see the obvious *shrugs*

who knows!!??

I do know that I am having a HORRIBLE time trying to figure out how to create layered text or graphics.

I am using InkScape.  All this is new to me but I have succeeded in creating a vector image and some text together that I want to cut (as soon as my new cutter arrives) but I want it to be 2 colors or layers.  I am wanting this text and image to be a deep red but backed with white so as it appears trimmed in white.  Once I have my image or text...how do I create the background layer for it in the software?  I am assuming it needs to be done in my InkScape before using the cutter software. 

PHOENIX-DECAL-sm.jpg

Hi, i am kind of new to inkscape but i installed and i think i've figured it out, i normally use freehand mx and adobe to do all of my designing but i downloaded your artwork and here is how i did it,

1. make a copy of your vector image

2.select that image and go to path, select "outset" this will make your second image larger by expanding the paths instead of just dragging it bigger

3.leave the fill and stroke in the outset image as black

4. make the original vector image red.

5. drag the original vector image on top of the outset image. it will probably end up being behind your outset image so go to object and select "raise to top"

6. move your image around to get it aligned perfectly

7.save as an .eps file

8. open in signcut.

9. if you have any questions about cutting layers in signcut, refer to this post http://uscutter.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=191.0

here is an example, i did it with white on black, but u get the idea. ( i didnt get this aligned very well either, i was in kind of a hurry)

hope this helps!

phoenix.jpg

Could you possibly use the Align and Distribute function in InkScape?

You might have to group your top layer and bottom layer seperately...

Its under object in the tool bar...

I havent tried this, but it appears that it should align both layers perfectly centered.