Sign in to follow this  
JLDesigns

Proper vinyl for Lighted Sign

Working on doing a lighted sign for a new business.  I'm ordering the Sign White Polycarbonate 'face' since they already have the casing with light.  I guess I'm curious as to which vinyl I should use...can I use the basic Oracal 651 or I've seen Oracal has a vinyl that's transparent..any suggestions?  The sign facing is 2ft by 11ft but will mainly be black vinyl color used.

Should I price the vinyl job same as a banner?  I plan on charging the customer for the polycarbonate based on the price I'm getting it for.  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, this is the first job I've done like this!

You would want to use translucent vinyl on back lit signs. If you use Oracle 651 the logo wouldn't show up as well when lit at night. I suppose if using mainly black it wouldn't matter as much for those areas.

light colored 651 shows pretty well would recommend translucent such as oracal 8500 it has a 7 year outdoor life average for 651 is 5 yr

would also mark up the face check at uscutterdirect for price of vinyl before pricing translucent is pricey there are a couple suppliers that sell vinyl in as little as 1yard on some and 5 yards on others far from normal is one

Dan

If you are going to use black you can go with Oracal 651 for other colors I would suggest Oracal 8500 translucent.

And definitely mark up polycarbonate face.

That is pure profit .

Thanks for you suggestions!  I was thinking the translucent vinyl would be better off but right now I'm thinking this job is going to be around $500.00 job, that's with my getting the polycarbonate delivered to me for $280.  Does this seem kinda high?  I won't be installing it, the sign casing and light work properly and are already mounted on her roof, I'll just deliver to her business.  The logo is a simple dog and wording and some paws nothing extravagant, besides the large 'face'.  the 'face' is a solid sheet 2ft tall by 11ft long.  Sorry about the little questions!

$280.00 for how big piece?

Do you have any pieces left (another 2'x11')

If you do have some polycarbonate left  your price is about right .

No pieces left the sign casing is for a 2ft by 11ft piece.  I guess I should say my price is $280, I was going to charge her $380.00 for the Polycarbonate, or maybe that's to high.  I called locally and they wanted $280 for a 2' by 8' piece plus I would have to pay for the additional three feet and somehow piece it together.