Sign in to follow this  
squirrelH

Is 3M Scotchcal safe for making indoor wall graphics?

I am hoping to get some help here... :thumbsup:

I am planning to cut some gifts for friend's kid's birthday. Is 3M Scotchcal safe for making indoor wall graphics? especially for nurseries?

What kind of transfer tape is recommended? I bought some conformable tapes, but it was completely not what I was looking for. Does the one with backing paper work better? Where can I find it with good prices?

Also, I've heard of chalkboard vinyl. Where can I buy it online?

Thank you.

I've always used Oracal 631 for wall art.  That's what it is made for and it works well. 

Never used Scotchcal, but I see they make it with different adhesives.  I would NOT use any vinyl on a wall that has permanent adhesive.  You stand a good chance of messing up the wall when you try to remove it.

I've always used Oracal 631 for wall art.  That's what it is made for and it works well. 

Never used Scotchcal, but I see they make it with different adhesives.  I would NOT use any vinyl on a wall that has permanent adhesive.  You stand a good chance of messing up the wall when you try to remove it.

Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on transfer tape and chalkboard vinyl?

The transfer tape you want depends on the vinyl you are using.  If you are going with Oracal 631, you want the AT55 transfer tape, or the Greenstar Clear Transfer tape if you're in a pinch.  As for chalkboard, if you want to remove it, 631 works well.  As with any surface though, it should be well cleaned before you try to apply it.

As for chalkboard, if you want to remove it, 631 works well.

Is Oracal making 631 in a chalkboard vinyl now?  That would be great.

I have used Oracal 651 on painted walls . Never pulled any paint peeling , but I peeled them off in the summer when it was hot . During the winter I would heat them a bit & am confident they would come off easy .

LOL, sorry KC, I think I phrased that wrong.  If he wants to apply vinyl on a chalkboard, 631 would be the ideal vinyl to use on it, because it's removable, and lower tack.

http://www.expressionsvinyl.com/pages/catalog.php

This site sell small pieces of the chalk board vinyl 12"x24" for 3.99 if you only need small amount. I use this site if there is an order for some thing that only requires small amount of a specific color that I don't have and don't want to keep too much on hand that I may not use again for along time.

LOL, sorry KC, I think I phrased that wrong.  If he wants to apply vinyl on a chalkboard, 631 would be the ideal vinyl to use on it, because it's removable, and lower tack.

Got it. LOL I was hoping Oracal was making it.  I've been looking for some 15" w and can't come up with any.