Sign in to follow this  
aidencooperdesigns

Supplies needed for new wall art business

hello all,

i am thinking of starting a new vinyl wall decal business. can anyone out there tell me what it is i need to start this up. i saw the wall art starter kit but im afraid the 15" cutter will be too small for what i want to do.

i would HIGHLLY appreciate any advice you could give me!

thanks again,

LMK

First thing we need to know is your budget. That will then determine what hardware/software/material you can buy. Also starting a business you'll need to check with your city and state laws to see what permits you may need. Some require a business permit or license. Some require and actual business building and not a home. I would def check to see what you need before you go buying stuff.

I would seriously consider the Graphtec CE50000-60 as the budget allows for a great cutter.  then just vinyl, app tape, knife, straight edge, cutting mat, clipart and software for the cutter - great thing with the graphtec you can cut directly from corel with graphtecs included software

Simple answer Yes, you can use Illustrator with any cutter. It is just the design software which is then sent to the cutter software which would be compatible with whatever cutter you choose. I've heard a lot of ppl like the Graphtec. I use Corel with a Roland GX24 and send the designs to my cut software, Cut Studio. Corel has an add button which will send the design to Cut Studio automatically, saves a bit of time. Good Luck w your new venture.

thank you guys so much... my  next question... is the 24inch cutter too little to start out for wall art???

what sizes could you create with that other than 24xwhatever???

sorry im such a newb guys!

LMK

I would think 24" would cover your needs for wall art. While not always easy to line up, you could divide a larger image into sections and apply. I guess it depends on your market but I haven't found anything I can't cut w my 24". I could see if you were cutting wall art you might want a bigger cutter if say it was a tree vs letters. But it could always be pieced together and no one would notice if done correctly

Wall art can vary. Depends on what type of wall art your wanting to do. I do "Fatheads" for tons of clients and only 4 of them have been under 24" wide, the rest require a 54" printer/cutter to do the work. You may look into getting a 54" cutter for your needs so that you don't have to contract it out.