sp00k

Cutting from Illustrator CS2

Hello, I'm new to the vinyl world and just got my plotter.  Is there a way to cut directly from Illustrator CS2?

Thanks in advace.

Hi everyone. I'm considering buying the 50" cutter and had the same question. We use Illustrator for all of our graphics. Does Illustrator sync right up to the cutter?

Thanks in advance!

Justin

No you can't cut directly from illustrator.I don't think is a graphics program that you can set to cut directly.I have been able to send cut through the print command in flexisign,but it's designed for reading nodes and cad commands.There are some like corel that you can send to a cuuter program but not made to cut the design on it's own.

Thanks for the quick reply Billy. Is it difficult/possible to somehow get our graphics designed in Illustrator to a program the cutter understands? In other words, will we still be able to use Illustrator for our vinyl designing?

Thanks again!

I have had no problem getting my graphics to work from illustrator to signcut.It took a while to figure out to run the live trace,and then make sure the files I saved were set for no compression.But after that everything has worked well.

Great! I was hoping that it wouldn't be a problem. I am looking at the package on ebay. It looks like it comes with the software that you mentioned. Hopefully we'll be cutting vinyl soon!

Thanks again for the quick response.

You shouldn't have any problems.But if you do,there are plenty of people on this board who can help.

Thanks! That's reassuring. One last question (or two), can I use smaller width vinyl on the 50"? I don't necessarily only want to purchase 50" vinyl. Is there anything else I should consider before deciding on the 50" or 25"?

Thanks!

You can use any ivnyl 50 or under I think.I haven't worked with a 50,but the 721's have a feed roller that runs the length of the cutter.As long as you can set the pinch rollers on the vinyl,it shouldn't make a difference on the size.I think you can even go as small as 3" just like the 721's

Hey jfteague

You can still design in Illustrator and open it in the cutting program. By what I have read and by my experience it works best if you save your files as a Illustrator 8 or lower file. Dont save it as as a CS, CS2 or 3 file. It works better as an 8 file. Just tought Id let you know.

I can't believe no one has heard of MagiSign?  :-

We cut out of Illustrator everyday using the MagiSign Plug-In. Sure, it's a G-Code emulator... but we've saved time and money, by not having to buy and learn a dedicated program. Just design, and cut. I may try to see if I can get my new LaserCut plotter to work in the same manner. That would be sweet!

Robo master software from graftec has a plug in for Illy

I tested Signcut X2 directly from illustrator and it works.  It works just like Cutstudio does for Roland so if anyone was considering buying a US Cutter and want to use Ai exclusively, i highly recommend Signcut X2.

In X2, once you ahve installed it and teh plug in for AI, just go to File, Cut, then boom, you  are in Cutstudio X2 and hit the cut button.  It is very simple.

The link to that version of Sign Cut X2 says it's a "trial version".  Will it stop working or be limited in what'll let me do if I don't buy their paid version?  Or is there a way to make that "trial version" work forever :D