Sign in to follow this  
go10go4

Laserpoint does what?

It might be helpful to know exactly what the optical feature on the new laser will allow the user to do. I understand the SB is still under development. But what's the intended usage with respect to contour cutting. How many registration marks are required? Do you need to move the laser point to make it align with the registration marks, or will it align itself to the marks? Does the vinyl need to be moved in order to align the marks to the laser point? Before I buy one I'd like to know what it's capabilities are intended to be?

In SignBlazer, you will set up the print and set registration marks on the print before printing it out. Once it is printed, you use the laserpoint to allign with each reg. mark on the pre-printed material, then when told to cut, the cutter will contour cut based on the reg. marks that were lined up using the laser.

Ken,

"you use the laserpoint to allign with each reg. mark" I guess that's where I question what has to be done. Are you saying that you move the laser beam "manually" to each reg. mark by using the arrow keys on the panel? I think that's what I'm getting. This is not an "automatic" system whereby the laser beam finds the reg. marks, correct?

Thats my understanding, you use the laser beam to line up the registration marks manually. I dont believe it has a laser eye that reads.

I've only had mine for less than a week now and not much experience with it however, by looking at it I would assume that once we receive the software update it will function within the software to contour cut.

I imagine it will work much like this.

print your image with registration marks

load into your cutter and place image in Sign Blazer.

using the arrows on the face of the cutter you move the laser to each registration mark and click "set"

this marks the registration points within signblazer.

once all registration points are "set" Signblazer will have the points of referrance to contour cut the image.

Much like the cutters with the optical eye scanning for the marks except it's done manually.

I could be wrong in the process but I bet it's close ;)

Bill

ps.

I'm hoping there is a more precise way of moving the laser within SB. When using the arrows it's a hit or miss process to precisely place the laser on a fine point.

the length of time you press the arrows is the determining factor in moving the laser head. once you get close to your location it becomes a matter of stabbing the arrow quickly

and this just isn't good enough.

is there anyway to slow down the traverse travel when jogging the plotter? That would help greatly when lining up your marks.

Is there a upgrade kit for the refine or pcut to convert to laser?

No, sorry. Don't think there will be either.

Ken,

"you use the laserpoint to allign with each reg. mark" I guess that's where I question what has to be done. Are you saying that you move the laser beam "manually" to each reg. mark by using the arrow keys on the panel? I think that's what I'm getting. This is not an "automatic" system whereby the laser beam finds the reg. marks, correct?

Yes, you will move the laser manually with the software to each reg. mark, then click OK to set that particular point of registration. It is not an optical eye that reads or picks up the resistration marks automatically.

;)

is there anyway to slow down the traverse travel when jogging the plotter? That would help greatly when lining up your marks.

The software seemed to control the carriage movement pretty well, and it seemed slower than using the buttons on the cutter itself.

You are exactly right except for one thing.  You will use the buttons on the keyboard to align the laser rather than the control panel on the cutter.  You will be able to align very percisely this way.

I've only had mine for less than a week now and not much experience with it however, by looking at it I would assume that once we receive the software update it will function within the software to contour cut.

I imagine it will work much like this.

print your image with registration marks

load into your cutter and place image in Sign Blazer.

using the arrows on the face of the cutter you move the laser to each registration mark and click "set"

this marks the registration points within signblazer.

once all registration points are "set" Signblazer will have the points of referrance to contour cut the image.

Much like the cutters with the optical eye scanning for the marks except it's done manually.

I could be wrong in the process but I bet it's close ;)

Bill

ps.

I'm hoping there is a more precise way of moving the laser within SB. When using the arrows it's a hit or miss process to precisely place the laser on a fine point.

the length of time you press the arrows is the determining factor in moving the laser head. once you get close to your location it becomes a matter of stabbing the arrow quickly

and this just isn't good enough.

Excellent!

I can hardly wait for the update.

would love to help Beta test ;)

I'm a manual kinda guy anyway. I insist on manual locking hubs on my 4 wheel drives too ;D

Bill