Sign in to follow this  
basement ink

copam froze up

bought a copam cp 4500 about a year ago and everything has been going fine.  last night i

was cutting some decals and the thing just stopped 3/4 the way through.  looked at the

display screen and it was flashing 'measure', so i thought if i pressed scroll, it would

measure, spit out the last job, and i could start over.  it went to measure it, tried to

spit it out like it usually does after the measuring, and locks up again, flashing the

measure screen.  this happened repeatedly after trying both scroll and sheet.  sometimes it acted like the machine was even trying to work,shut off for a second, and then put the blade back at the far right hand of the machine.  tried turning it off, unplugging it, restarting both signblazer and the

computer, among other little things.  HELP PLEASE.  i've got a couple of jobs due in the

next couple and am pretty stuck.

opened 'er up, sprayed with compressed air, retried, nothing.  where is the optical eye?  if it is the oval clear looking thingy in front of the rollers about 1/2 in. long, then i cleaned that with compressed air.  it does look like it has a scratch on it. 

That's the one - looks like you will have to submit a support ticket.

The cutter reads the width by reading the magnets located in the front of each roller assembly and the length by using the optical eye you found

Also you will want to check the environment you have it in.  Make sure you don't have a light shining directly above it, it could mess up the sensor, and might not detect the material.

Along the lines of the optical sensor not detecting the vinyl ;  I remember reading a thread where some vinyl backing does not get detected very well . 1 member taped some white tape on & fixed that problem. Are you using the same brand vinyl that worked for you before ?

If the unit froze during a cut I would bet against this being a sensor issue. It sounds like the unit completely restarted itself which could possibly be a power supply thing, but I would bet on the motherboard. You will definitely want to start a support ticket at www.support.uscutter.com, we will probably want to bring the unit in for repair.