Sign in to follow this  
frogwash

Selecting Objects...

What is the best way to select an object overlaying another object..?  It seems to want to just select the larger object all the time.  Is there a way to "toggle" thru the objects to select the one you want?  Example  ...  I have a rectangular shaped background that is 36" x 24"...  Black in color...  I want to overlay text in white within that black area.  After I place the text within the rectangle and try to select it again...  it keeps wanting to select the black background!  All I want to do is select the text!!!  :huh:

Thanks in advance

Try to " hit the bullseye " on the smaller object . Click on the smaller object precisely & it will select that .  :huh:

Not quite sure by what you mean "precisely" or "bullseye"...    I have tried selecting objects in every fashion imagineable!  clicking "precisely" on the object...  zooming in...  crossing window...  moving items to the back, or front..  fast click...  slow click...  held my head to the left, then to the right...  to no avail.  I see no bullseye anywhere.  Sure would be nice to be able to "toggle" through the objects on the screen.  thanks anyway

Try holding the shift down and select the very edge of the element.

Roger, I learned this reading the Learn Guide like you suggested.

Jay

nope... still selects the object behind it....    @%$^(*^&*!*#$!@#

Post the file and let me know what you are trying to select.

Jay

I had the same problem when I started, but now I can select something within an object . Some objects are harder than others . I used the bulleyes & precisely terms because the tip of the arrow has to be right on what you want to select . I use " undo " or zoom in when it gives me a hard time selecting but I'm going to try what Jay says . I have reread the signblazer section here several times & gained knowledge , I think I will reread the learn guide another time . That learn guide is almost as knowledgeable as Jay !!!  :huh: I think Jerry had Jay write the learn guide  :huh:

Try this one. I re-ordered the objects. I selected the white line rectangle and did Arrange + Put to Back then I did Arrange + Forward one. Now it will let me select anything.

Jay

Dolche_Hanging_Sign.SBD

Thanks...  It seems to work but now the file you sent over seems to have larger, oversized boxes wehn selecting them...  prettty strange.  Were they oversized when you sent them over?

Something funky was going on with the text. I wasn't sure what. Try what I did and see if it works with your original file.

Jay

if you right click on the color selector bar at the botom of your screen, you will get a collor selector tool that will let you select objects by color. or you could lock the object that is on top of theh object you are trying to select. don't forget to unlock everything when you are done.

bb

Thanks CutMe , that is handy . Have you ever explained your member name :huh:  :huh:

Thanks CutMe , that is handy . Have you ever explained your member name :huh:  :huh:

i am sure i have somewhere. when i first discovered this forum, i had just purchased my lp24. at the time i created my forum account, i was thinking "man! i gotta cut me some stickers". and of course when you have to think up a name for yourself, you draw a total blank... in retrospect, the name sounds kinda gothic and self loathing.

bb

It is a cool name & carries no negatives . Thanks for the explanation  :huh:

Not quite how right clicking on the colors below allow you to select items above!  I get the small dialog box off to the lower left and have selected on color.... then what?  It shows what colors I am using and "Select All" or "Deselect All" with another small box "Auto Select"?  Guess I need to break out the manual..  thought this would be a simple do this or do that type answer...

Another method I use is to move thing out of the way so I can select what is underneath. In the lower right of the screen there is a scroll bar for different settings. One of them is called "Horizontal/Vertical Nudge" You can set the distance, select an object. Then with the arrow keys you can move the object the set distance. After you do what you need with the element underneath you can select the first item and move it back the exact same distance. I use this for a lot of editing tasks.

Jay

Not quite how right clicking on the colors below allow you to select items above!  I get the small dialog box off to the lower left and have selected on color.... then what?  It shows what colors I am using and "Select All" or "Deselect All" with another small box "Auto Select"?  Guess I need to break out the manual..  thought this would be a simple do this or do that type answer...

once you right click on the colors at the bottom, click on one of the colors in the box that pops up.

bb