Sign in to follow this  
splash0321

Flatbed Vinyl cutters (large format)

I have an extra uscutter 1351 new in box because i really want to convert it to a flatbed cutter. I have found that while doing large graphics that exceed 4 yards in length the cutters just arent as graphic as this perfectionist would like. I have visions of converting my cutter to a flatbed cutter that can cut vinyl in any length and accuracy would be no problem at all because the vinyl never moves at all.

Am i crazy or is this an accomplishable task? I have an array collection of unique graphics that i have designed but unfortunately the accuracy of these cutters isnt quite where I want it to be. If i want to cut some custom pinstriping that is 15' in length, I cant do it because a stripe that is already 1/8" has no room for error.

I know there are some handyman types out there just like me that would entertain undertaking this task. All I need is suggestions and ideas and comments. People convert printers into flatbed DTG printers so this has to be doable.

Ideas, suggestions, comments! I just want feedback.

for the effort, time and space it would take I would look at the wide copam or a wide graphtec and be done with it.  No more accuracy problems and if you find one used probably cheaper in the long run

I'd agree with what the previous posters said, buying a better cutter is going to probably solve 99% of your problems.  As far as making pinstriping, it would be far easier to just slice off a certain width of rolled vinyl than to try to cut it, and you will have less waste.

Making a cutter flatbed isn't going to necessarily increase your accuracy or precision.  In fact, it's probably going to be much more difficult to match the precision of a regular roll-fed cutter with a flatbed design, due to the difficulty in making a precision slide mechanism for the head.  You would need to use something like is found on machine tools, box or rail-type guides for the X and Y axis to control the cutter head.  Then you need to control it, either by a lead screw or some other linear actuator.

You may be able to reuse the encoders from a USCutter, but I'm not sure the vinyl roller motor would be strong enough to move a carriage with the cutter on it.

Not a bad idea, but if you are going to do it, do like jay said, and just turn it into a CNC router/engraver/cutter.  There are tons of resources online for home-brew CNC tables.