Sign in to follow this  
Brandon_Davis

Sublimination - What do you know

So does anyone know of any system besides Sawgrass that delivers excellent low end Sublimination via Epson, Ricoh, Brother, ect?? Does anyone have a SawGrass system and have an opinion on it?

Talk to me people?

So you are just using the standard 180 cartidges or do you have a bulk system on that... How long have you had that printer? Was it using Sublijet from the start...?

Not sure what you mean by the 180 carts - the system uses sawgras sublijet-r carts - no bulk avaiable for the gel ink system.  had the printer about 4 months and has always had the sublimation ink in it

When I was doing Dye Sub work I had an Epson using TOG Sub ink. I think TOG was put out of business by Sawgrass tho. Sawgrass was suing them saying that they had the patent to the ink formulation.

Anyway, I ended up switching to laser transfers instead due to the cost of the Dye sub inks and the problems with the print heads clogging up often unless you printed with it every day.

Laser transfers allow you to use standard laser toner with a special transfer paper and get very good results. I was happy with it.

I dont do the stuff very often any more but when I do I can just use my laser printer to do it. The paper I use is from http://jblgraphics.com/ and works great with my OKI printer.

I know that there is special Dye Sub laser toner out there, not sure what the results are with that but you cant print on regular paper with it. With standard Toner you can!

Mugs, mouse pads and Tiles so far - have several other things to try but haven't had time yet

Dakotagrafx

I am looking to do tiles also. Just picked some up from a guy going out of business. Can you tell me what setting you you for pressing them and any tips you may have.

Thanks

greenie

I have the Ricoh 7000 - which uses gel ink.  LOVE it!  I stopped doing sublimation for awhile because I couldn't stand the clogged ink heads with my Epson.  EVERY TIME I printed.  I wasted more money/time/paper than imaginable.  Because I have TONS of inventory in stock, I decided to give the gel ink a try.  Printer was very reasonable.  Ink is comparable to the old sub ink.  Costly - but that's the price you pay.

I've done tiles, porcelain, clothing, plastic, magnets, etc.  With the tiles, you place them face down so the heat platen touches the back side of the tile.  Timing depends on size.  You need a felt pad so that the tile sort of sinks into the felt pad and the tile doesn't crack.

Dakotagrafx

I am looking to do tiles also. Just picked some up from a guy going out of business. Can you tell me what setting you you for pressing them and any tips you may have.

Thanks

greenie

I would download this file as the time depends on the tile:

http://www.conde.com/PartnerNet/partners/docs/redir.php?filename=SublInst.pdf

you must also have a felt (nomax) pad to do the tiles they are all at 400 degrees