windspirit

Need Help On Cutting

I have cut out the following image but my client is wanting it put on a yellow license plate and when I do this the yellow will show thru where it is suppose to be white so how do I go about cutting out just the white parts to put in the white area or is it going to be hard to do?

post-5188-12986546605761_thumb.gif

post-5188-12986546626388_thumb.gif

Select the graphic, click arrange-split objects. The white parts will turn grey. You can then make them any color you want. Add registration marks and cut in two colors, then layer them.

After you vectorize the image, use Arrange + Split Objects. The white areas will turn gray and be separate from the horse.

Exactly what he said.

Jay

Ok the image is already vectorized and I pulled it up clicked on Arrange and then Split Object and it turned the white to gray so let me make sure I am understanding this the image will be black and white so I now cut the image out in the black and then I go back and cut the image out in white?  How is that going to fill in the white spots if the whole image is cut out in white?  Also I have no clue as to how to setup registration marks.

If you'll post up the vector file so I don't have to re-vector it, I will do it and make a video to post up with the file.

I love Jing.

Mike, instead of Weld + Punch Through, use Arrange + Combine. It eliminates the need to erase the original shape.

Jay

You stated: the 1st layer to mask would be the white.

So when you say mask does that mean cut out the white first?

Or do I cut the black out first put my marks on there then weed out the white parts and then go and cut out the white parts only and then lay it on top of the black?

Thanks for the video but I guess I am slow as some things I did not understand.  

1.) You brought up the Color Select box and there was an X on the Black, the gray was ok then you put an X on the gray and closed the Color Select box.  

2.) You selected the area between the 2 connected legs then you deleted the gray area then you clicked on Undo.  Why did you do this?

3.) You then selected that same area again then brought up the Color Select box and there was an X in the black and X on the White and the gray was ok

4.) Took the X off of the Black

5.) Clicked on Arrange - Weld - Punch through then closed the Color Select box - What exactly does this do?

6.) Selected the area between the legs again and deleted the gray area. Why did you have to go back and select this area again?

7.) Select the image click Arrange then Put to back - why did you do this?

8.) Put a circle in then brought up the alignment - Why do you need the alignment? Can't you just place the circle anywhere within the image location?

9.) Brought up the alignment again and put a white circle inside of the black circle and then aligned the white circle in the middle of the black circle and then duplicated the circle.  Why did you have to put a white circle in there?

10.) You grouped the image and the circles all together

11.) Click cut and a complete black image shows up

12.) On the left of the screen you take the X off of the white and put an X on the Black and only the white pieces show up.  Were you showing me that with the white pieces showing up it would only cut the white and I should do that?

2.) You selected the area between the 2 connected legs then you deleted the gray area then you clicked on Undo.  Why did you do this?

I didn't realize that the black was a solid color, so I undid the delete so i could punch the grey are through the black to make a hole

3.) You then selected that same area again then brought up the Color Select box and there was an X in the black and X on the White and the gray was ok

4.) Took the X off of the Black

did this to select both the grey areas and the black areas without the white

5.) Clicked on Arrange - Weld - Punch through then closed the Color Select box - What exactly does this do?

this punches a hole thrugh the black

6.) Selected the area between the legs again and deleted the gray area. Why did you have to go back and select this area again?

after punching a hole through the black you want to remove the part to show the empty space between the legs

7.) Select the image click Arrange then Put to back - why did you do this?

i selected the black part only and put this to the back because during the process of everything else some of the white areas got moved behind the black

8.) Put a circle in then brought up the alignment - Why do you need the alignment? Can't you just place the circle anywhere within the image location?

9.) Brought up the alignment again and put a white circle inside of the black circle and then aligned the white circle in the middle of the black circle and then duplicated the circle.  Why did you have to put a white circle in there?

10.) You grouped the image and the circles all together

the circles are for aligning the vinyl after it is cut. don't have to align them, i just like to have them centered. when you stack the circles you select them and use the punch tool to punch hole through the black circle. when you weed the black you will have a circle with another circle inside. you remove the inner circle so you have a black ring. when you wee the white you will have only a circle.

11.) Click cut and a complete black image shows up

12.) On the left of the screen you take the X off of the white and put an X on the Black and only the white pieces show up.  Were you showing me that with the white pieces showing up it would only cut the white and I should do that?

with the black image shown, load your black vinyl and cut it. after that load your white vinyl, click the white on the left so the white shows up on the cut screen and then cut your white vinyl. weed both. apply app tape to the white. peel backing off. line up the white circles that are there in the center of the black ring and smooth you tape/white onto the black vinyl

did you watch the video of the two layer decals??

Yes I did watch the 2 layer video and I understand how the registration marks help line things up I just could not understand how to get things setup and cut out to make this happen.  After the video and the explanation of what you did I am going to give it a try tomorrow.  Thanks for all you have done and if I have more questions I will get back on here tomorrow.

Ok I am finally getting a chance to try out what you did but I am getting very frustrated as I can't get a square or circle above my drawing not matter what I do.

The other thing is in the video you brought up the Color Select box so you could X out either the black or white and I have no idea how you did that.

Ok here it is November 22nd and I still can't get this horse cut out.  I've watched this video over and over but something is still not working out.  When I went back and watched the video this morning I noticed one step that was different.  This is what I've done so far.

1. Selected the object - clicked on arrange then split object

2. brought up the color select box (mine has 2 blacks one has Blazer Black and the other black has no description) the Blazer #5 or gray is there also.

3. There was no X on any of the 3 colors so I put an X on the Black with no description. I then put an X on the Blazer #5 (gray) but the white did not turn to white like yours did in the video.

What am I doing wrong?  :huh: I know if I can't get this cutout by Wednesday my friend said to just cancel her order.  ;D

Here is a video of what I did.

Start with importing the .eps you posted here.

Select the horse

Arrange + Split Objects

In the lower right change your Horizontal nudge value to 8"

Right Click on the color bar at the bottom of the SignBlazer window.

Select the Gray color (Make sure "Auto Select" is checked"

Click the Right Arrow to move the gray off of the black.

Edit + Select None to un-select everything. (or click in the white area)

Select the gray shape that was between the horses legs.

Left Arrow to move it back into place.

Drag a rectangle around the entire horse (this will select the peice you just moved back too but not the rest of the gray)

Arrange + Combine Objects.

Drag a rectangle around the rest of the gray elements. (but not the horse)

Click the left arrow. (this will move the gray back in place with the horse.

With the gray still selected, If the gray is not the top layer use Arrange + Move to Top

With the gray still selected, Click on a white color in the color bar (this will turn the grey spots white.)

Now create two small squares of a different color to use for alignment of the two colors.

When you cut select the color of the alignment square and iether white or black. Repeat for the other color making sure to select the alignment square color too.

http://screencast.com/t/MWZkYzBjO

Jay

Thanks for the instructions and the video as I think I've got it as I will be cutting it out in just a few minutes.  Let me ask this if I want to do more than one of these images should I just duplicate the image or do I need to go thru the same steps with a new imported image?  I am trying to make the most of the vinyl I am cutting so I don't waste so much.  Also if I am standing in front of my cutter it always cuts from right to left that is the cut head is closest to the display panel and moves to the other side away from the panel is this they way it is suppose to cut?

In the cut window of SignBlazer there is a place to say how may you want to cut. It also allows you to set the spacing between each one. As for the direction of cut, you are correct. They index at the right side of the cutter then cut left. Look at the image when you go to the cut window. It shows a simulation of where the cutter is in relation to your vinyl and design.

Ok I got both the black and the white to print out......."THANK YOU" so much.  I noticed when I was printing out the black that there was an angled line going across the horses body.  I could feel the line like it was cut but when I weeded the vinyl it did not try to separate so why would it be doing this as it did not do it when it cut the white out?

Also I want to make sure I am doing this right.  When I cut out the black it did not cut out the parts that would be white as it cut out a solid horse was that correct?  If that is correct now I go and lay the white over the black vinyl correct?

I guess my thinking was that it would cut out the parts that were suppose to be white and then I would lay the white into the cut out parts.

Not sure why you go the line accross the horse. The black should be solid then the white will lay on top. Use the squares that you added and cut in both colors to align one color to the other.

Jay

I have seen decals where they have cut out the parts so there is only the thickness of 1 peice of vinyl . Even though they overlapped them , it shrank enough to have spaces between the vinyl colors . The background color REALLY made it look bad . I think the way you did it & the way Jay said is the best way .