hawkkenz

Getting in to T-shirts maybe...thick vinyl.

I've had my cutter for a couple years now and have done vinyl decals, some banners and such, but no T-shirts.

I have a friend that owns a sporting goods store that does a lot of t-shirts, jersey's etc.  He has a heat press but no cutter.  He orders his vinyl from somewhere pre-cut.

He gave me some scraps of the vinyl that he uses to do a test run to see if I can cut some things for him.

He was going to buy a cutter but he said that all the cutters he looked at would not cut this vinyl, it is 5 mil.

Will my PCUT 630 have any problem cutting this??  What kind of settings do I need??

I tried to cut something in the scraps he gave me.....and it wouldn't cut it?:thumbsup:

It didn't even make a scratch in it.  Not sure why?

Anyone?

Guest sciondrgn

If its 5mil you will need to adjust your blade and pressure. Average on sign vinyl is around 2mil and I believe material like Siser Easy weed is thinner.. So something in 5 mil you will need to bring out your blade a little more and adjust pressure

and cut the dull side - not sure if this is redundant but thought i would throw it out there

After adjusting the blade and increasing the pressure setting, I've got it cutting now.

I think I just need to tweek the pressure setting a little more and it just might work.

I did look in the manual for the cutter and it says max cutting depth is 1mil.  that doesn't seem right?

Guest sciondrgn

After adjusting the blade and increasing the pressure setting, I've got it cutting now.

I think I just need to tweek the pressure setting a little more and it just might work.

I did look in the manual for the cutter and it says max cutting depth is 1mil.  that doesn't seem right?

The book should say 1MM which is roughly 39mill

hello . i dont know a lot about this but for thicker meterial a lower angle blade helps. i think a 45 degree blade is better for cutting deeper/thicker meterial. if my memory serves me correctly most cutters come with a 60 degree blade because its better for sticker vinyl and most tshirt vinyl because it cuts at a slighter angle and prevents cutting through the carrier sheet You should be able to purchase a 45 degree blade from us cutter. Also you may need to adjust your blade pressure too. but I am sure your cutter can cut this with a diff blade and higher pressure. Good luck

Guest sciondrgn

Standard blades from USCutter and most machines is the 45 degree blade.. 60's suited better for thicker materials. the steeper angle allows more room for the blade to spin freely without getting caught up on the vinyl.

General Rule of thumb for blade angles

Cutting Angle Reference

I cut a couple samples and also did a name that  he needed, looks like I got it working now, but I will also try the 60 degree blade.

Standard blades from USCutter and most machines is the 45 degree blade.. 60's suited better for thicker materials. the steeper angle allows more room for the blade to spin freely without getting caught up on the vinyl.

General Rule of thumb for blade angles

Cutting Angle Reference

Guest sciondrgn

Yeah I've noticed that as well.. Some places do have it backwards. If I could get some kind of official yes this is correct Ill update it hehe. I've used 45's and 60's on just about everything without a problem

hello . i dont know a lot about this but for thicker meterial a lower angle blade helps. i think a 45 degree blade is better for cutting deeper/thicker meterial. if my memory serves me correctly most cutters come with a 60 degree blade because its better for sticker vinyl and most tshirt vinyl because it cuts at a slighter angle and prevents cutting through the carrier sheet You should be able to purchase a 45 degree blade from us cutter. Also you may need to adjust your blade pressure too. but I am sure your cutter can cut this with a diff blade and higher pressure. Good luck

Darn it . if he has it backwards then I had it right all along. I thought the larger the angle the deeper stuff it can cut. the shorter the angle the more complex but cant cut as deep. Can somebody clear this up.

Guest sciondrgn

Thats why its always so confusing.. I just use what works  :huh: