Sign in to follow this  
hockeygirl

Refine or PCUT?

Hi, after being the 3rd owner of a 6-yr old MH-721, it's finally giving me more problems than I want to deal with...

So, I'm looking to replace the cutter with either an identical model or the PCUT. What's your opinion on the PCUT? I read from the description that only USB is available, is it reliable or is it as flakey as the USB on the Refine? The COM port or the Parallel port on my Refine never worked ever since I took it over, the previous owner said the COM port worked for awhile before crapping out and he had to use USB after that.

Also, does the Refine stand work on the PCUT? So I might save some money not having to get the stand if I go with PCUT...

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Only problem I've had w/ my PCUT have been related to not using a serial connection.

I could be wrong, (and my cutter is 1.5yrs old, not sure on any updates) , but the USB just doesn't cut the mustard for much of anything with detail or size.

Once I connected it via serial it's been an awesome plotter. "Tracking is Lacking" but I don't expect amazing plotter performance at that price point!

I would suggest a PCUT for budget minded or beginners though (I am both :thumbsup:

not 100% sure but I think the newer pcuts come with serial as well. Personally, I wouldn't have a cutter that only has USB.

That being said...if your current cutter has lasted 6 years that should tell you something.

Guest sciondrgn

The 24" PCUT has both but the 36" only has USB

All 5 cutters I have had I only used usb - but there have been others with many issues.  I am refurbing a refine and The newer ones are a lot quieter - not graphtec quiet but quieter

Thanks for all the responses! If the new Refine are quieter, that may lean my decision towards it a bit...

Another question I have on the PCUT, I know it advances after the cut, but do you have the manually take it offline and reset the origin like you do with the Refine? I have to do that with my Refine every time, even after SignCut advances the vinyl after the cut. Otherwise, if I forget to manually reset the origin, for the next cut, it'll go back to the previous origin and I would've screwed up the vinyl...

I was told that the problem was that the refine didn't recognize the command from the software. No idea on the newer ones.