Sign in to follow this  
SmallSigns

Two things I learned yesterday

I finally got my first order of vinyl yesterday  ;D  -- cut my first image with no problems, but I learned two important things:

1 - I need MUCH better lighting on my weeding table!!!

2 - This is WAY too much fun!!!!

My first cutting was a flame butterfly -- hope to post pictures later. The wife loves it and wants me to put it on her car.

Off we go to cut more images today -- time for some race decals for a friend.

Let the fun begin!!!

Guest sciondrgn

I second that!! I really enjoy making decals ;D I to need a bigger table and more light XD

re: the lighting... I have found that having the light source behind and not directly above the vinyl helps me,and looking at the vinyl from low down,not directly down on it helps too. My eyesight is very poor and I can weed very small letters and decals this way.

re: the lighting... I have found that having the light source behind and not directly above the vinyl helps me,and looking at the vinyl from low down,not directly down on it helps too. My eyesight is very poor and I can weed very small letters and decals this way.

Thanks for the ideas John -- I'll be working on that this weekend.

I prefer sun light, helps me a lot! But when it is not available, I rather have the light by one side, not directly on top of me.

Any one ever thought about building a light table?

I am thinking something like artists use where its a small box maybe 2x4s with a couple of flourecent strip lights inside and a piece of lexan on top. I wouldnt want to cut on it but for weeding this would really light it up from behind and you could sit at the table comfortablly for those seriouse weed jobs. Just a thought I am a total newb in fact I am cuurentlly looking to buy a pcut but have been reading the forum alot.

Thanks to everyone with there input you guys are great and keep up the good work and let the tutorials and pics fly I am starting a small business with my cnc machine and will do vinyl also so I am really learning alot from this forum cant wait to get my pcut almost have enough jobs lined up to pay for it all ready HaHa.

Bearwen

I've had my pcut for about 10 days now... and I can't get enough of it. I'm asking all my friends if they need any custom stickers for free, just so I can play with it, lol.

Thanks for the input everyone --

I have been reading all the posts about the light table and when I get some time I plan to build one, only problem is that right now I am working with white reflective -- this is a very large project - making door numbers for about 450 doors! My first reaction to working with reflective is - what a BITCH !!! Waisted the first two feet of material just trying to get the pressure right. Now I just have to cut all the numbers and apply them. Got three doors done so far -- 447 to go -- WOO HOO  :police:

Regarding your idea for a light table, I wouldn't use lexan. Glass dealers usually sell a type of glass which is really two glass sheets with a piece of white plastic sandwiched between them.  This plastic diffuses the light really well and is easy on the eyes.  Plus you will be able to cut on the glass without damaging it.  Something you can't do with lexan.