Sign in to follow this  
Biker Scout

Where's Install Info On LaserCut?

Hello everybody...  ;D

Just got my new LaserCut set-up, plugged in, driver disk installed. But the plotter didn't come with any install instructions specific to the LaserCut. Am I supposed to be using a surrogate pull-down such as the Refine or Copam? Also, does the USB cable thing work, or is it only Serial? My laptop doesn't have a serial port, but the plotter we use at work is connected via USB-to-Serial connector. But according to the install of that particular plotter software we had to use a specific brand connector. Is the LaserCut same kind of thing?

Also any Sign Blazer manuals? I find the software clunky and hard to figure out. I cut directly out of Illustrator at work, but I've been using Illustrator for years so I'm pretty sure it's just more familiar. I'd like to get this thing up and running soon.

How do I get the laser beam to show up... even just to test out?

In signbalzer or signcut I would use the Creation CTE630 HPGL driver, I used it and it works fine.  I also have used the usb cable but youi will need to make sure you install the FTDI drivers for it to work, look in your device manager to see the port that the serial driver is installed on and use that when configuring your software.

Also if you put some vinyl in the machine and turn it on you should see the laser dot. it comes directly from the forward blade holder .

Guest fivestar

Kimon have you reviewed this machine yet?  I am wondering if the contour will work with flexi, I know it "should" but want to be sure before I get one.  Thanks

Working on the review now and flexi is one of the software titles I will be using,

Signblazer

Signcut

Flexi

Casmate

Signgo

Signlab all we be tested on this machine. The formal review will be ready in about a week but I will let you know about countor cutting and flexi before then.

SignBlazer has an online manual and a .pdf downloadable version. See the SignBlazer category for the links.

OK, it's been a week now and I've still not been able to get the plotter to move or do anything from the computer. The on board buttons are hard to figure out. Like Mode, the up and down buttons on the bottom next to the + - arrows. When I hit the test button the cutter head came crashing down and scored the heck out of the cut strip. Another good reason to have a manual. How do you install the blade holder correctly? Our plotter at work only allows you to put the blade holder in one way. And I'm not crazy about having to bend the clamp back to get the blade holder in, only to use the thumb screw to squeeze it all back together. (Doesn't make for easy/quick blade changes) Maybe I'm doing it all wrong... but how would I know without instructions? :D

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the lack of user support and no manual. If the thing came with a manual at least I'd be able to fudge my way through it. I've been a professional designer for 15 years now, and this is the first plotter that I've used that wasn't name brand. Everywhere I've worked in the past the things were already set-up beforehand. And any problems were quickly sorted out by referencing the owners manual. I bought it to start my own design studio, so I have a limited start-up budget. I figured that a USCutter was a good investment, because of the forum support and the fact that the company had a real website. But so far, I'm getting pretty bummed.

Any suggestions?

Biker,

Hope this helps. This is my post on a previous thread:

I think it's page 6 in the manual. It shows a blade holder different from that which was shipped. The one the comes with the machine has both ends about equally sized in diameter - not one end smaller. That's confusing. What I found is that the adjusting screw - the end that has the o-ring with the screw adjuster - must be face down toward the vinyl. This is opposite of what appears in the manual. The end that is non-adjustable is facing skyward. However, the blade extends (of course) through the adjustable end that is placed toward the vinyl. I think this is the exact opposite of what is shown in the manual. This is the only way I can get the cutter to work.

Make certain that the blade extends only slightly below the adjustable screw end as set up in the above paragraph. The picture in the manual shows a blade extension that's probably protruding more than it really should. The end of the blade only has to be visible for about 1/8" below the adjuster screw to make the cuts. Anything more can score and ruin the vinyl.

Hope this helps. Let me know if this solves your problem.

I would be happy to walk you through setting up the cutter to communicate with your computer. Might be as simple as the Buad rate.

Email me to setup a time we can troubleshoot this for you: kenimes@uscutter.com