Sign in to follow this  
peteyf

Cheap Vinyl to practice on...what is the Name?

I am getting the Pcut 24" and someone mentioned a vinyl that was inexpensive and good to practice on.  I can't remember the name or brand :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help

Petey

Save your money on buying the BGS, I bought the $65.00 12 roll 24"x3yard pack.

Then I went to walmart and bought an $8.00 roll of Elmers 24"x 25yards banner paper.

I have cut some decals with the BGS but theres not much you can do with it other than cut it and toss it out. I don't think I would use it for anything that someone was paying me for.

The BGS stuff is only rated for short term outdoor use (1-2) years at best.

Oracal 651 is only $6.00 more for Black or White.

I have used the banner paper to Draw out my practice stuff and it works well and is Alot cheaper for practicing. You can pen plot and tell if your design is going to cut right.

I am going to use up the BGS stuff for my own practice on foam board Mock Signs just to use it up, I could have got 3 rolls of Oracal 651 and just been able to use it on about anything.

IF you decide on the BGS just for practice just buy a roll of white and black otherwise you may end up with a bunch of leftover BGS colors you won't want to use on paying customers stuff.

I'm about to place a $500.00 order for Oracal 651, it's in my cart, just trying to use up the bgs stuff up before placing that order.

Contact paper or also called shelf paper. Comes in 18 inch wide rolls but only costs a few bucks to buy at Walmart.

I bought some of the BGS initially and cut some stuff out of it. Decided I didn't want the reputation of selling it, so I used it to make up some "show me boards" - I bought some plexiglass from Home Depot and cut decals and put the decals on the plexiglass. I give them to schools and such to display the actual decal in real life. I figure it should last for a while indoors.

Charlie

Im very new to the industry as well but I learnt REAL QUICK that using cheap vinyl is like trying to learn how to cook with really crappy pans. You will get frustrated and ticked off using sub standard products. Buy the stuff you will be comfortable sending out to customers and learn on that, if you blow 30 feet of good quality vinyl its still only like 30 bucks and thats alot cheaper than all the BS you will have to endure dealing with BGS headaches longterm.  Now is NOT time to be cheaping out.

If you really want to save a couple dollars, I would recommend Shinerite, which is available from Fellers and a few other places.    I have several Shinerite decals that have been in the weather for over a year, with no adverse effects.  I have not heard ANYthing good about BGS.

Otherwise, I would go with the other comments and say just spend the extra few bucks and get Oracal 651, you wont have any problems with it.

Im very new to the industry as well but I learnt REAL QUICK that using cheap vinyl is like trying to learn how to cook with really crappy pans. You will get frustrated and ticked off using sub standard products. Buy the stuff you will be comfortable sending out to customers and learn on that, if you blow 30 feet of good quality vinyl its still only like 30 bucks and thats alot cheaper than all the BS you will have to endure dealing with BGS headaches longterm.  Now is NOT time to be cheaping out.

This Man has it right......... get what you are going to use and learn with it........

Education always has a cost.......but you will be better off to learn with what you are going to use.......JimT