Sign in to follow this  
Booper

I'm F'n OVER IT!!!!

Rant time, looking for some wisdom and knowledge from some of the old timers in the business here.

I work in the metal industry, where the rule of thumb is no matter what the customer says, he's exaggerating by at least 20%. If they say they have 10 tonnes for sale, they actually have  8. If they say they want to BUY 10 tonnes, they only need 5.  I assumed this rule only held true for the metal industry but as Ive been getting into decals and signs, I notice its not just a metal industry issue!!! Am I just jaded from my years in dealing with lying purchasing agents looking for a discount or is this industry in just as bad a shape dealing with liars and exaggerators looking for a few bucks off something as small as a few truck decals?:thumbsup:??  I try to make my decals as cheap as I can, especially for car clubs etc, I rarely charge for design work but it seems like no matter how low I go, its never LOW ENOUGH!!!! Is it illegal if we all band together and price fix the whole industry??? LOL !

Ben

Those are  the ones I just send down the road to another shop - I had a guy this year want 60 t-shirts for basically the cost of shirts and ink for screen printing them.  I told him to go back to where he got them last year as they are obviously doing it as a favor.  by the way that was my boss

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER! Fall for that line of Crap "if you do this one for a discount, I will get you or send you more work."

Thats as old as Dirt and Never produces more work for you.

The guy gets his product (whatever industry) and walks away saying "SUCKER! LOL LOL "

I learned that lesson LONG ago.

I now say, this is my price, IF after working with you on Several jobs or Refferals (mentioning you by name) we can then talk about some kind of a discount of future sales, maybe.

They either except it or go elsewhere.

< I am NO sucker for these types.

Did I say NEVER ? I meant it.

Everybody knows quantity=discount, so they are going to try to feel you out on the qty breaks by asking for a large number, and then estimate their cost based on the qty they actually want.  Screw them, if you want a quote on 100, that doesnt mean that 50 equals 20% more than that.

I really hate when people do that and I put the design time in, and they change the order though.  Knowing that charging an art fee (due to low qty, design work needed) usually means writing the job off, I usually end up eating that time. 

However, they better not expect me to bend over backwards next time..

Sometimes you gotta be willing to walk away from a job when the customer wants it for next to nothing...and don't forget your labor costs. Weeding is the real cost here, not so much the cost of vinyl (design work is another matter). If it's a small amount of design I usually throw it in to secure the job (it's added-value).

But yeah, I don't care who charges what, I will only work for so cheap and then I'll change tactics, farm it out or avoid the job altogether.

soapbox.gifranton.gif

I get that times are hard for everyone in today's economy. There is still business out there and everyone is trying to be competitive. But I definitely am tired of clients that play games when asking for quotes. I get that word of mouth and being networked can prove to be the best tool, or the worst.

I think many of you out there have been doing this for a while and have built a reputation around your business brand. It would suck to have a few of them purposefully tarnish it. I think if you've built a good customer base, charge a fair price, and meet or exceed expectations then you've got nothing to worry about.

Potential customers want discounts with promises of passing on more customers ... For anything that I do - networks, computer repair, decals, consulting, whatever - I charge what I charge, I know it's fair and more than competitive and tell them referral business is always appreciated. For the jobs that are referrals, I'll usually do something nice for the person that recommended my services (i.e. Starbucks / Jamba / Amazon.com gift card, etc.). I try to find a 'thank you' gift that is somewhat personalized so they feel like I considered the more than just a client, but a friend. I had someone tell me point blank, "my friend said that he got his (e-commerce) website up in less than 48-hours (from 1st consultation to live on the web) for only $200."  My response to him was, "That's great! Would you mind having your friend contact me so that I can refer some of clients to his web designer?"

Beat the bad, cheap @ss clients away with a stick if you can afford to turn away the business. They just suck, and usually turn into the dead beat, most difficult, high-maintenance clients.

rantoff.gif

well .......... what to say about this post topic except to say GO THE HELL FOR IT!!!!!. to add my little bit i was called to quote on a vehicle sign graphic job . i had done some work for them before and (some would say what they got was to basically exploit my service and time........3 colours and duel layer stickers..anyhow) i said that i had to cover my cost and time,and i quoted the price and it was well under normal by 50% cause times were slow and they used the old line "let us think about it and we will get back to you". and in the next breathe he had a guy that did it for free. but he was hard to contact. ( i wonder why ? maybe he went bust ). so i hear what your say loud and clear

so :thumbsup:;D ;D ;D

Yup! Always a better deal......I charge a fair price, very fair most of the time...

but then I am Retired and only work out of a large Flea Market here In Fla.

So I hear alot of bull........... I just say this is my Price.....and the others know what there work is worth........but I think mine is worth this price......always a cheap 0 out

there.........this is my 2 cents... :thumbsup:

Well im glad to see im not the only one being jerked around, but at the same time it ticks me off MORE knowing that its probably not gonna get any better!

You guys (and gals) are right tho, sometimes you just gotta cut em loose.  :thumbsup:

Ben