Sign in to follow this  
Vinyl Vengeance

Okay... so do I need to change my username and business name...

I've been reading this forum for a while, and I just recently joined. I'm planning on buying a cutter soon and I plan to start a small business of my own while still in college.

Anyway, while trying to come up with a catchy sounding name I came up with "Vinyl Vengeance". I thought it sounded good, reminded me of V for Vendetta. Anyway, I did a search on Google to see if there was already a company with this name. It's not taken by a company, but it is the name of an *ahem* interesting product:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Vinyl+Vengeance&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1

Knowing this, would you keep the name or change it?

Guest crshirts

If it was me I think I would but thats just me. Was very funny tho.

Carl

If you keep it... and someone ask who did your sign... we can say some d*ld*!  :thumbsup:

Just kidding ya. Sorry, couldn't resist!

My guess the name may have a copyright or trademark.

I don't know...it's hard to say...it seems like every town I ever went to had a Honest John's this or a Quality that... I know when I first started, there were dozens of "Johnny's Signs" on Google..all over the country. I don't think you can trademark a name unless it is unique.Diet Coke is Unique, Diet Cola is not...if you get my point. I know that you can't trademark or copyright a descriptive phrase such as 'butter popcorn' or 'ice cold'. I'd keep the name if you like it..when you go to get your business license, they will tell you if someone in your area already has the name. If you intend to do online, and someone already has the .com for your business name, you can use .net or something else.

Dude that sucks!  :thumbsup:  Really I dont know what to tell you other then if you keep it make sure your clients and prospects stay away from Googling you. Give them a 100% for sure link to your site.

Also I was in the same boat because there is a record out under Vendetta. Im doing the same as you are and starting before I get my degree, think long term.

Where Vinyl Vengeance is a actual product I would think it surely is trademarked. You might follow those links around some and find out. Seen somewhere there that product is also distributed by site called of all things, "Doc Johnson".

true but the trademark would only apply to that particular product. Check and see how many different companies use EVO..there is a computer and a car by that name that I know of. Same for MONSTER..Monster Cables, Monster Energy Drink..the list goes on.

Trademarked names only are towards what they are selling, you will be fine unless you intend to sell other things on the side.

I would guess that you probably wouldnt have problems with copyright and trademark, because as John said above, you can't copyright descriptors, and to me in this case, vinyl is a descriptor.  Nothing came up with a search for vinyl+vengeance at USPTO.gov.  I could be wrong about that, however.

However, if you are hoping to sell a lot online, I would change it.  Sex toys and other highly profitable and competitive online businesses typically utilize pretty aggressive SEO strategies that will be tough to compete with if search engine rankings are very important to your business.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Once I saw the search results on Google I figured I'd end up changing it, but I still wanted to share this funny discovery. I plan on just having this business as a small side project, but if it picks up I wouldn't want to be associated with dildos and cock-rings!

So, now for me to come up with a new name...

BTW, once I come up with a new name can I have a mod just change my username for me?

a registered Trade mark must include some form of artwork or symbol . If you try to Trade mark words only USPTO [TESS]  will reject your application , mark the app abandoned and keep all of you $$$$$$

a registered Trade mark must include some form of artwork or symbol . If you try to Trade mark words only USPTO [TESS]  will reject your application , mark the app abandoned and keep all of you $$$$$$

That's not true, there are several types of TM's, one being words only, as opposed to word/design.  You can't just start selling a soda called Coca-Cola in a different font..

So, now for me to come up with a new name...

BTW, once I come up with a new name can I have a mod just change my username for me?

I have seem member name changes here . I have not looked into it , but I think you can change it yourself in your profile . If not 'm sure 1 of the Mods would do that 4 U .  :-[

Dildos and decals are pretty much non-compete, so you're probably fine. I bet this is on Google somewhere...but I think since you're in two different businesses there'd be no direct competition and you'd be ok.

Now, if you started marketing their product or they yours, there could be an issue. If you're really really serious about the name...check with Legal Zoom or a buy a half-hour's worth of trademark attorney time and maybe he/she can clear some things up and run a search.

Alright, so after racking my brain for a while, I finally came up with a name for my business: Xion Graphix

I came up with it because my computer case is called "Xion" and is green, reminds me of "Zion" from the Matrix. Spelling it this way looks nice to me, with it starting and ending in an "x".

Anyway, how would I go about getting my user name changed to that?