Sign in to follow this  
gr203

basically my only choice?

I know this kinda isn't the right place to post this, but I posted, and waited for a few days in the mac forums and no one replied, thought it might get seen here.

So basically I've decided on this cutter http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-MH-series-Vinyl-Cutter-_p_25.html

The 25" most likely. Pretty much this is the only cutter I can find right now that gives me the option to upgrade for $90.00 bucks to Flexistarter for mac, none of the other cutters on the site have the option.

So basically could I buy any of the other cutters if I changed my mind on this cutter, and then just buy the flexistarter for mac seperate and it would work? I know its hard to find it, but there is a couple up on ebay now for like $110.

Just wondering if you think the one I choose is good to get. Or if I should try to nab one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300350546637&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching#ht_9076wt_1167

Which I know gives a less warrenty, but I could get for a bit cheaper, then buy the mac program, pretty much every dollar for me counts right now since I'm in college and yadda yadda.

Anyways any opinions? Thanks guys.

Guest sciondrgn

I'm not 100% sure on the software side working with a mac and having the right drivers but Either of those cutters is a good choice.. The laser point is going to get you an added feature of Contour Cutting that the Refine is not. If that is something you really dont plan on doing the Refine will work great!

Yeah... I agree with all that has been said... I think the biggest bang for your buck is the laserpoint simply because you can contour cut. More importantly forget the Flexi software, US Cutter packages SignBlazer (older but a good all around sign program) and SIGNCUTPRO... Signcutpro comes with Inkscape illustration software, Running Inkscape with SignCutPro is like running FLEXI PRO... Except your not getting kicked in the stomach for thousands of dollars.

I agree, I only use Flexi to cut with.  Designing goes through Illustrator or Inkscape.  

Guest fivestar

Yeah... I agree with all that has been said... I think the biggest bang for your buck is the laserpoint simply because you can contour cut. More importantly forget the Flexi software, US Cutter packages SignBlazer (older but a good all around sign program) and SIGNCUTPRO... Signcutpro comes with Inkscape illustration software, Running Inkscape with SignCutPro is like running FLEXI PRO... Except your not getting kicked in the stomach for thousands of dollars.

Signcut Pro has RIP software?

But as I said in my first sentace, I am running mac os.x 10.5.5, and as far as I can tell neither of those work for mac? I've only seen the 90.00 flexistarter for mac upgrade that I'd need to buy to get this to work on my mac, is that correct, or does the basic softwear that it comes with work for mac, cause as far as I've found it doesn't appear to, so I figured I needed to upgrade to the flexistarter mac verision.

there is also a Mac version of Signcut.

Would that come with http://www.uscutterdirect.com/USCutter-MH-series-Vinyl-Cutter-_p_25.html though? I mean I'd love to not spend the extra $90.00 on flexi, but that cutter is the one I'm looking at and I didn't think that the signcut it came with was for mac, is the disk it comes with for windows mac, or what? Sorry for so many questions, just alotta stuff I'm still trying to figure out haha, thanks!

I don't work for USC...I just volunteer my time. The only way to know for sure is to call and ask. I would think that they would offer to you the right software that you need. If they won't, look elsewhere. You can buy Signcut many different places,including directly from them

http://www.sc-x2.com/signcut-x2.html

The bundle you receive with your plotter on that package comes with Signcut Pro included for one year. after your initial year you may renew an affordable subscription or purchase a dongle which grants you a lifetime license. This will allow you to run SignCut for as long as your operating system and hardware support it.

If you have a SignCut license you are welcome to use it on either Mac or Windows, should you ever have a hardware problem and need to cross platforms or move to another machine we allow 5 transfers during your subscription period and with the dongle version you may move computers as often as you like.

Thanks Kimon..and let me add that....even though it does cost more, I would buy the Dongle version.