Sign in to follow this  
daisygirl

Help with app tape?

I am using Oracal 651 to make decals for car windows. 

I am new to the sign making business & was told to purchases the R Tape Conform, High Tack.  I have applied small deals to windows with no problems, until yesterday.  While applying a larger decal (with many 1" letters) to a car window, the tape did not want to release from the vinyl.  The vinyl tore several times on the larger image and stretched quite a bit of the 1" letters.  Obviously, the customer was not happy and I was embarrassed.  What app tape do you recommend for this type of application?

I'd REALLY appreciate your input!!!  I have several large orders that will need to be applied next month.  I don't want to look foolish again.

I have used some of the Clear mid tack app tape and like it real well for its release ability.

For larger stuff I use a mid tack paper tape and some rapid-tac app fluid to release the tape from the lettering to make removal easier.

I use the Rtape High Tack 4076 all the time on car windows. If your Wet applying make sure you squeegee the crap out of it and let it set for at least half an hour before removing the app tape. Also Spray the App tape down with App fluid prior to removing it and let it set for 5 minutes or so. It breaks down the adhesive bond.

I have only ever had a problem one time, and that was on the wife's car.

I cleaned it with simple green to remove the gunk and dirt. Then Cleaned it with rubbing alcohol.

Same procedure I always do. Applied first layer dry, stuck fine. Applied wet second layer, wouldn't stick. Tore it off wadded it up and Recut it.

Tried to apply again same results. Then I figured it out. RAIN-X. the wife had Oreillys replace her rear window wiper blade with the Rain-X blades. These leave a silicone film on the window that normal cleaning will no remove. I had to use Naptha to get it off. then the decal stuck fine.

BTW I pulled the other part of the decal off and completely redid it. Since I knew it wouldn't stay on.

Kevin

Guest manwayvan

My Rule of Thumb is never use clear on anything that is not layered as I cant line up with paper worth crap..So if you stick to a medium tack paper tape and make sure the window is clean and you have a good temp on the car there should be no problems.. :thumbsup: on the spraying of app fluid on the tape as this makes it so much easier to remove from the vinyl and won't tear anything.