Sign in to follow this  
tshirtn00b

Blade position

When the blade is inserted in the holder, does it matter which way the tip is facing?  I've been noticing a trend with my LP which is when it's cutting left to right it skips or vibrates across the vinyl leaving a perforation rather than a smooth cut.  Looking at the cutting strip I thought that may have something to do with it as mine is pretty jagged and uneven but then I realized it's just when it cuts left to right.  When it cuts right to left the cuts are clean and smooth.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  I certainly would appreciate it.

Thanks

Tom

it does not matter which way it faces, as the blade needs to rotate freely within the holder itself, that way no matter which direction the carriage is going and the vinyl is tracking, it will (or should) always be facing the right way - which is cutting side on the 'leading' edge.

HTH

any idea what would be causing it to create perforations rather than a clean cut when cutting left to right?  It's really aggravating.

Thanks

just ideas to check - blade dull, sticking out too far,as Haunama said does it rotate freely in the holder - check for vinyl debris on the holder and I lubricate with a fine coat of 3in1 oil.

I am sure others will have other ideas but at least it's a place to start.

Thanks.  Yea it rotates freely.  There's a magnet that holds the blade in then a cap with a hole in it that screws on over the blade.  I dont have this piece screwed down completely, otherwise too much of the blade would stick out.  I'll have to check out the 3 in 1 oil (Can you recommend a brand?) - there is no debris on the holder.  Like i said, it cuts great from right to left, but left to right it makes perforations. Im not sure what i'm missing here.

Fixed it.  I peeled off the cutting strip, reduced the pressure and she cuts like a dream.  I'm going to some test letters but I think it's resolved. 

I read that you don't actually need the cutting strip, is that true?  If so, what is its purpose?  I'd imagine if nothing else, it helps keep the blades sharpness a while longer than when pressing on metal.  Can anyone clarify?

The cutting strip saves the blade and the machine if the blade depth is not set correctly.  Often times the dotted lines you are getting can be caused by an improperly installed cutting strip.  The cutting strip should lay nice and flat in the channel. 

I would suggest you find a way to set your LP to use the cutting strip. As mentioned before, it will help you save your blades, not to mention that the cutting carriage is probably designed to be used with it. The cutting strip is forgiving should you accidentally slice through the vinyl and backing - allowing the carriage to still move with minimal drag on the lateral movement.

If you're getting perforations,  you might need to take a look at your blade depth, pressure, and/or cutting speed. It's going to differ from individual machine to machine. Lots of other factors include type of vinyl, brand of vinyl, etc.

I must have had the pressure set too high at one point.  Looking at the cutting strip, there were long deep cuts in it that I presume was causing the perforation problems I was getting in my most recent cuts.  Since removing the strip and making notes of the pressure settings for each different type of vinyl, I have had successful cuts without it.  I'll order a replacement soon.  Thanks for the input.