Jpiana

MH-721 brick wall, head hurts

Hello,

I have had my MH-721 for a few years now and never had a problem, I recently solved one. First the specs:

MH-721

Serial connection

Signcut-X2 with updated driver.

About 2 months ago the cutter started behaving erratically, doing the whole diaganol cut, freezing, cutting lines that werent there, the lcd display would go blank or have what looks like the curse characters, so I read the forums and found that the most likely cause was static, or not grounded properly, I checked the outlet the cutter is plugged into and its grounded, the stand is grounded to the chassis. I took the cutter apart, didnt take the end cap with the plug off though, checked the MB for a loose connection or maybe a loose chip, couldnt find anything, put it back together. Was still doing this, now on small decals it will cut just fine, this happens on larger decals, 50" or more.

I took the cutter apart again today, this time I started with the plug endcap, I found out that the ground wire connector for the plug was not connected!!

So, I resoldered it and put everything back together hoping it would have solved my problem, it did not. However, it seems to be having another issue. Now instead of creating the diaganol line, or freezing, the carriage sounds like it runs into a brick wall, cuts through the vinyl then continues but now the cuts are overlapping previous cuts. This happens in the same spot no matter how many times I do this or how many different settings I change. My guess is that since the chassis was not grounded for about 2 months something fried inside, Im guessing the MB but could it be the power supply or the stepping motor?

Thanks

Joe

First part I would replace is the motherboard. First time the LCD displays unfamiliar characters- it is on its way out. Surprised you were able to get some small stuff done really. Static and grounding may cause erratic cutting, affecting the magnet in the carriage, but would never cause LCD display issues (from what I recall)...your issue is most likely MB related.

Larger decal issue is the buffer memory chip on the MB failing to process that much info. correctly. Probably related to the MB issue in general.

I am having the same issue with the MH-721 (a.k.a. Major Headache-721)

It will not cut straight diagonal lines, stops in the middle of a cut, slams against the opposite end, LCD will get all scrambled, and to many other issues to list. Different light come on, blink erratically, it is insane.  I have been dealing with Levi on this issue since August 2009 when I got it. I finally was told by Levi that it was a motherboard issue. So I had to pay the $80 (which I have not got back yet) core charge on the motherboard, then paid $40 in next day air charges to get the new one. Put it in, well what do you know, same issues and got worse.

I have had a certified electrician check my power outlet and I have always had a good surge protector on the cutter. One plug is the cutter and the other is my computer.

No after he all but swore that the mother board was the issue say I will have to send in the whole cutter and incur shipping charges to get it back to them. I have to say I bought a NEW UNIT, if it does not work they should replace it with a NEW UNIT. I did not pay for unit that would need repair in less than 2 months. I understand this is a cheap unit but I would have expected it to have worked at least a year. I have been all over the internet and have seen 100's of post about this unit not working in the same way for people. US CUTTER should step up and replace my unit with a new one like I paid for.

I have tried using Sign Blazer, Sign Cut, CoCut, and even Flexi-8 from 3 different computers and all produced the same result. So definitely not a computer issue.

I bought Joes cutter and it was the motherboard.  replaced it and it works great.

I may be easier if they just send you three cutters at time of purchase. Make their sales like a batter at baseball. If all three are crap you get you money back. I just wasted another $40 in material today. This POS has cost more than $1000 in lost business. They won't replace it with a new unit as that is what I paid for, not a refurbished unit going on its third mother board and a trip back to the shop in less than 2 months. I know this is next to the bottom as you can get in cutters but please it should work for at least a year. At this point I would be happy to break even with all I have lost due to this unit. I guess it is partly my fault for not reading all the bad review and complaint I have now found for US Cutter

I would really like to hear from someone that is an owner or manger at US Cutter. Stand up and be a reputable business owner and replace my unit with a new one like I paid for!!!