Sign in to follow this  
john!

Ahh window ac unit keeps blowing outlets

Hey, I live in an apartment and for some reason if i turn my window unit up to blow colder air it blows the outlets.

Any idea on why this keeps happening? I have 2 outlets that don't work at all now. I've plugged other things into it and they don't work but they work in other outlets that i haven't blown.  :thumbsup:

talk about waaaaaay off topic :thumbsup: it sounds like the temp switch has a short in it at a certain point.

where is that located? I am 100% clueless about any household electric things lol

i own an hvac company. pretty sure the problem is a short in the temp switch. (you said it blows the outlet when you turn the unit to "cooler", right?) i would def get the landlord to have an electrician check your apt wiring but if the wiring in the apt checks out he might as well replace the window unit as anything you do to these will cost as much or more as a new one.

i own an hvac company. pretty sure the problem is a short in the temp switch. (you said it blows the outlet when you turn the unit to "cooler", right?) i would def get the landlord to have an electrician check your apt wiring but if the wiring in the apt checks out he might as well replace the window unit as anything you do to these will cost as much or more as a new one.

Alright, the temp switch is in the Ac unit i guess?

I would take the cover off the AC and check to see if it's pretty dirty.  Same with the outside of the unit, dust can get in the cracks of the outdoor coil and cause the unit to overwork.

When dirt or dust builds up on motors or fans and you turn it up (or down, as it were), the unit draws more amperage and blows fuses/breakers in the apartment circuit box.