Sign in to follow this  
prettybird

Doing a cleaning on the printer

Hi, we have a Roland SC500 and we want to do a cleaining on it.  (The more detailed cleaning of it, where you open the cover, etc.)  But I was wondering if I can use rubbing alcohol to clean or do I really need to buy the special stuff for it?  They quoted us $80 for one bottle down at the vinyl store.  Thanks!

I don't know what ink you're using in the Roland SC500, but I'd do a fair bit of checking as too exactly what you need to clean it properly.  I don't think Rubbing Alcohol is what you would use, I use "Isopropyl Alcohol" for cleaning the heads on my Inkjet.  I think your Roland would be a "Solvent Ink" printer, and need a solvent based cleaner.  Check with Roland for the exact chemical you need, and then search the net for a cheaper price.

We ended up buying the solvent at the vinyl store but any suggestions in applying it would be welcome because we have never cleaned one before.  Also, we are having a hard time finding the right sponge that is suppose to clean the hook.  The vinyl store gave us a T shaped one and said that is the right one, but I really don't think it is because I don't see anywhere that it would go and the instructions show a small rectangle shaped one with a hole through it to snap onto a tab but the vinyl store said there aren't any sponges like that so do you know where I can get the right sponges from?  Also, do I need to replace the sponges that sit under the print heads?  Thanks so much for your help!

try to find and download service manual before you do anything on machine.

I have same machine SC 500 , very easy to maintain , but be careful what you do.

BTW, what ink are you using?

I know you are using eco sol ink but, what brand ?

Roland?

Triangle?

Buy cleaning swabs from fellers or other supplier and use them for cleaning. Also in service manual you can find exactly  what you should and should not do.

Takes a little bit time but it's wort it to read manual even few times as I've done (and still do not know crap  :huh:)

Good luck