Sign in to follow this  
tasly

Photo usage for background of my wall designs...please help

Off to bed now, but one quick question for all you early birds, or late nighters in my case ;D

I specialize in wall lettering art and would like to have a nice "background" image for my designs.  I have seen where others in the business use pictures from webstores such as Ikea, Pottery Barn, and other online retailers.  My question is this; Is it legal to use their photos of their products such as a sofa on a long wall, in order to showcase my product, the vinyl lettering?

I would definately give credit to the photo and even a link to the store in the "credit" line info.  Just wondering if this is going to get me into any trouble.  I would think that if nothing is on their online store about images being copyrighted, this would simply be free advertising for them??  Win win in my opinion, but I'm not the one who counts so I ask for your feedback.  LOL

Anywho, if you have any advice or experience from a legal standpoint I would really appreciate it!  Thanks all and goodnight/morning! ;D

Technically you shouldn't do it, but IMO, the likelihood of anyone at IKEA or PB noticing or caring is pretty remote.  I wouldn't think twice about doing it, let them send a C+D, i'll take it down.

Cue the copyright police..

Take your own pictures. Find someone with uncluttered walls, furniture or not, snap some pics, then just import em'. All these houses that's for sale everywhere ought to have pretty bare walls too.

find some new construction in your area. builders often turn the first house on a job into the model and furnish it. act like you are a buyer and go in, snap a few shots and say thank you.

bb

Yeah, that's what I was thinking:) 

Cutme...great idea, looks like I'll be doing some "house shopping" LOL ;D

Thanks all!

And if there isn't much new residential construction in your area (there is that recession thing going around), check with nicer apartment complexes - they generally have a unit set up to show.

Charlie

Also, a lot of people go to places like dreamstime.com or istockphoto and just purchase the pictures and then photoshop them.  Do a search for 'living room' 'sofa' or 'walls' and you'll get lots of results.  In fact, that's what everyone that I know does.  They get beautiful pics, they're cheap to buy, and everyone's happy!

Also, a lot of people go to places like dreamstime.com or istockphoto and just purchase the pictures and then photoshop them.  Do a search for 'living room' 'sofa' or 'walls' and you'll get lots of results.  In fact, that's what everyone that I know does.  They get beautiful pics, they're cheap to buy, and everyone's happy!

thanks for that info! never thought of doing that lol.