Sign in to follow this  
NukleoN

SignCut Cuts are Off: New Status: Resolved! :D

Hi there,

I've been making decals using Sign Blazer Elements, and it works well. I would like to give SignCut a fair shake so I paid the 35 bucks for a 3-month subscription.

The problem is, my SignCutX2 cuts are awful. There are crazy slices that shouldn't be there compared to SBE.

I am sure it's just my setup, maybe, but I am concerned that it won't cut out of the box with the settings I know. Is there something I am missing?

I have the latest version of SCX2, I set my blade offset to .25 (like it is in SBE) and I have my cutter set to LaserPoint 24 (which is what I have). I want to use the overcut feature but I see there's a range from .2 to 2. Is there a recommended setting for overcut? The weeding tools look nice but I need the cuts to be reliable. Also, what are the tiles for?

Is there something I am missing? I would like to get SignCut cutting properly so I can see how it compares to SBE.

Thanks! (Sorry for the noob questions. I gave up after the bad cuts and thought I'd appeal to the forum).

Hi ,

Not alot of SIgnCut users here , so not alot of advice ( not near as much as SignBlazer & Flexi ) . Kimon has left his personal e-mail address & SignCut's contact info . I need to call them & get it transferred to this computer , but have not " felt " like it lately .

When you get your Signcut straightened out by them , post you experience back  :)  :)

I am hating SignCut the more I use it. Can't even delete anything or make a 'new' document. Seems unfinished and the cuts are crazy and random. Even the test square wasted a huge amount of vinyl. Back to SBE or maybe I'll work on getting into Flexi.

I would give Kimon a try before giving up .  :) 1rst thread in the SignCut section is the contact info .

Rodger to transfer signcut just install on the new machine and enter your license number and Signcut will transfer automatically. You are entitled to 5 transfers during a subscription period so be sure not to run signcut on the old machine as it will transfer back and going back and forth will use up your transfers quickly.

Nukleon W would be happy to assist you, the first thing we recommend is that you actually upgrade to the new version of SignCut Productivity Pro. To do so go to www.sc-x2.com log in using your registered email and license number, then scroll down and choose Migrate. This will transfer your subscription period over and give you a new license number and download instructions.

The random cuts you describe sound like memory overrun problems, Signcut X2 sends very high quality files to the cutter and because of this some files have some problems as you have described. In the new Product available for trial from or site at www.signcutpro.com/trial or from the upgrade path above the files are optimized so the import machines can better understand them and they have fewer overruns which all software seams to encounter occasionally on the import machines.

In most cases the default settings work fine but some users need to fine tune the offset, The offset default for the Laser is .0098 but some users have needed to adjust it up to 0.0187 or more to compensate for the blade offset and plotter accuracy. We recommend you increase in increments of 0.005 until the cuts close properly. If the cuts then seem to have peaks where they meat lower the settings by .005 until they then close smoothly. (although if your working in metric settings .25 is the default)

Signcut and Signblazer are apples and oranges, while Signblazer choose to include a design engine Signcut has focused on driving your plotter and adding features that will save both time and materials and leave the design engine to the big guys like Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw of even the free program Inkscape available from a link on our website.

As far as deleting in Signcut, Signcut is not a design suite, it is an interface between your computer and plotter. Edit your files in your design software then utilize the shortcut to send the file to Signcut for optimizing using our weedlines, registration marks, cut by color etc. You do not create a new document you open an existing one or send one from your design package.

Signcut is not incomplete but you are looking for design functions that we have chosen not to focus on. Our overall philosophy has been the big guys with hundreds of thousands of users and huge development teams are better suited for advancing and developing the design engine, we are better at controlling your hardware.

Tiles are for cutting projects that are larger than your cutter can handle or so you may optimize the vinyl minimizing waste and cut individual areas of a file to be assembled after cutting.

Once you understand what SignCut is and how it works you will see that coupled with a design engine like CorelDraw there is no more powerful combination available for design and output to a vinyl cutter available.

Should you need further assistance do not hesitate to utilize the suupport@sc-x2.com email or copy me at kimon@signcutusa.com and I will assist or assign a tech to help you further. Please follow SignCut support options and contact methods here http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,20945.0.html

Thanks Kimon for the excellent response. I totally see what you mean now about opening existing documents, and you're right I do all my design elsewhere (Photoshop then Inkscape). Can you tell me what overcut does and what a good setting might be?

Ok, I'm gonna do the migration, I think you're right about the memory, coz this thing was acting like it was possessed. Once I have the proper version of the software I'll try it again.

Thanks a ton for the great response.

By the way I love Inkscape. It's beautiful and elegant, and it works great!

Overcut is where the cuts overlap the origin slightly this helps make weeding a bit easier, in most cases the default is fine, this is a setting more about fine tuning your machine and software to achieve the best results based on the image you are cutting and the material you are using. A slight overcut helps compensate for worn blades and machines that have a tiny bit of slop in their tolerances.

Well, I am a fan of SignCut Production Pro now. Thanks Kimon for your patience and for explaining this thoroughly.

It worked! I migrated my software, used the default offset (inches) and it cut great. The most amazing feature I think is the weed-line tools. Awesome! They're even easier to use in ProdPro than SignCutX2. I think with the weeding lines it took me maybe half or a third as long to weed than when I tried to weed the same graphic with zero weed lines, and I did it 4 times. *shudder*. No wonder I was pulling my hair out before...but I admit I am still a noob, this was my 6th decal ever and finally, FINALLY I am properly making use of weed lines. Gonna speed up production tremendously.

Anyway, many thanks Kimon...I'm very happy with SignCut Production Pro now.  :):D

Thanks for explaining overcut too, well-said. Kinda what I thought but I wasn't sure. I think I am gonna get one of those CleanCut blades just to keep things sharp and precise.

Clean Cut blades, an American made high quality product, more expensive than imports but definitely worth the price. Tell Ross at clean cut blades I said hi and ask him for a discount.

" It worked! I migrated my software "

What is the  migration :)  :D

Rodger it is a move to autoupgrade your license from SignCut X2 - to our New Version Productivity Pro, It is a free upgrade for current X2 users with valid subscriptions.

Thanks Kimon . I'm gonna try that soon  :) . I get frustrated from my lack of computer skill/knowledge when it takes more than the very basic stuff .

Clean Cut blades, an American made high quality product, more expensive than imports but definitely worth the price. Tell Ross at clean cut blades I said hi and ask him for a discount.

Yeah, another chance to feed the American economy. We need it. :) Thanks Kimon, I'll mention you said 'hi'. Gonna order it soon!

If you need help let me know.

Thanks , I got stumped last time & will most likely need your help  :) .

I got my cutter with signcut software....yep

This is what many new bies read and see in adds with plotters...........Yep

I got a 1 year subscription...............Yep

But I cant use it as there is no manual...............Yep

Many sellers advertise with vinyl cutters as the money tree the dollars falling off when you shake it.

As new bie you do not know the difference between SC and SBE untill you start to design.

So nothing wrong with SC or SBE it is just the unwareness of (some) people untill they are told the reality. :-X

As Kimon already explained SC works in combination with Corel, Illustrator or Inkscape.

The new bie manual also explains the differences but who is reading this anyway as there is none with a plotter!

Keep up the good work Kimon.

Paco

I agree & understand somewhat . i knew a buddy who made vinyl decals , but other than watching him make them I knew nothing when I bought my cutter . Buying something usually assumes some knowledge IMO . When a person buys a car , the dealer does not teach them how to drive . It seems 99.99 % of the people who buy a cutter realize they don't know & have to learn . The .01 % complain after getting frustrated . Sometimes they realize it was a lack of computer knowledge in the settings . Sometimes it is a malfunction of the cutter or software .

Instead of a newbie manual , I think anybody buying something they know little or nothing about should research , read , take a training course or work at a sign shop in order to learn . In any business I got into , that is what I had to do . With the cutter I bought , I had to learn to set up the computer & the cutter .. so my learning curve was slower because of my lack of computer knowledge /skill . I tell anybody who asks about learning about vinyl cutting to search YouTube , because those video's help better than reading alone . I knew SignCut was a cutting software & Inkscape was a free software I could design in . That is what was packaged from USCutter when I bought & it was not a surprise after buying .

Kimon & USCutter do a GREAT job . USCutter supplies this forum to help people who are not up to full speed or any speed at all . I don't know of any other forum set up for learning help by a seller . :-X