Sign in to follow this  
kb18951452

Starting from scratch.

Ok, So i'll include the short story, maybe it will help with sympathy!

My wonderful Bride and I love bartering. That being said, she bartered some of my time in exchange for a fancy haircut from a stylist she knows. Well, she was planning on paying for it, but while talking, they stylist learned that i am building a CNC Router (like a 3D Cutter/Plotter) and asked if i might be able to help setup a plotter she, the stylist, had bought. "Of Course he can!" said my Bride, and here i am. Now, i'm no idiot, and i am the "computer dude" at the Firm i work for, but i don't even know where to start.

I have an instruction book, at the back of which are english subtitles for asian screenshots. I guess that when i have read on the forum "Glad you were able to figure out the USB thing" your referring to the fact that the Driver must install in Chinese?

Also, i have read that there are several ways to actually physically connect the plotter. Does anyone mind listing them? (I am going over tommorow to set this up for her, and teach her how to use it. I'de like tyo have all avaliable supplies)

Also, i have read about intermitten problem with connecting it up. What is the most common method of connection?

Also, and lastly (i think) is, What program is she supposed to use to cut with this? Does it act like a printer? I mean, i know what a plotter is, i am asking is:

Will this think act like a printer for her computer so she can just open illustrator and a vector, and send that to the plotter by pressing "print" and selecting the plotter?

OR

Is there some software she is going to need to have? If so, What is it? Is it Free? Are there free ones? Where do i get it? What is the cheapest? Best deal? Best?

I have a few questions, I hope i get a few replies.

Thanks for all the help ahead of time.

Kenneth

Guest fivestar

Depending on when she bought it on what software comes with it.  I beleive Sign Blazer is coming with all US Cutter's now, I could be wrong about that. 

I would connect it to the puter via serial as this seems to be the easiest way.  If you are "the computer dude" at your firm then you will have noe problem sitting this up, they are simple really.

We offer SignCut and SignBlazer at www.uscutterdirect.com. Do you know which cutter model the stylist has? When the cutter is installed it will not show up in printers and faxes, yet communicates with the cutting software directly. The only time you would need to load a driver is if she is using the USB connection, but if using the Serial or Parallel connection, it will just plug in and then you tell the cutting software which port it is connected to. Our cutters do not cut directly from Adobe, so she would need to import the vector files to the cutting software to cut/ plot out. The ways to connect the cutter depend on the cutter itself. Our Refine series cutters have a USB, Serial and LPT port. Our Creation cutters only have a USB port, and our Copam series has LPT and Serial to USB.